PDA

View Full Version : Advice required on splitting my cable signal

sifurlong
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I am running TW broadband and TV and have just acquired a dreambox. I am planning on putting my TW subs box upstairs and using the dreambox downstairs. TW provided me with a splitter 2 way so I bought a 4 way version of the same thing. When I was about to buy a load of cable to run it upstairs, the guy at Maplins told me that the gear they sell for Satellite wasn't of a decent enough standard for cable tv. Is this true?? Can anyone recommend what cable to buy, and where to get it from?

Cheers

Si

Timoweb
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Lots on ebay. Satalite cable is ok and maplin do sell it but there very expensive. If you have a Boyes shop near you they sell it at 30p a metre and it works great. Look for any that says for Sky or ntl.

mcfisco
01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Cable signals are quite low frequency & won't really suffer too much with loss through cable unless you start running silly lengths
The UHF signals from your satellite dish are at a much higher frequency & can suffer so - as said any thing that is designed for satellite should be well up to the job.

I wouldn't get too bothered about it - I tested 20mts of C55 (general aerial coax) against the same length of CT100 (double screened satellite cable) with cable frequencies & found the differences to be negligible ~0.5 dB

Pretty much any 75%u03A9 1mm cable should be fine, you should however terminate (@75%u03A9) the unused port on the splitter %u2013 putting a plastic cap on it serves no technical purpose whatsoever other than keeping crap out.

h**p://www.satsol.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?itemno=C21173