PDA

View Full Version : Jailed for watching someone else's television

Shipoftheline
31-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes and remember the courts are not locking up peodofiles no but like I've said before the mighty BBC's TV Licence is different

Jailed for watching unlicensed TV
A MAN has been jailed for a week after refusing to pay a fine for watching someone else%u2019s unlicensed television.

Aldershot Magistrates%u2019 Court heard that Robert Johnson, 32, of Cove Road, Farnborough, had repeatedly refused to pay a fine of %u00A3110 imposed for watching a television without a TV licence.

Michael Devall, from the court%u2019s fine collection service, told the court that in telephone conversations with the service Johnson said he thought it was a stupid fine and hung up

Mr Devall said Johnson claimed that as he was watching someone else%u2019s television he should not have to pay.

But the court heard that Johnson had repeatedly been told it was an offence to watch any television that was unlicensed, whether or not he owned the set or lived where it was located.

Johnson had also been fined %u00A335 for driving without insurance, of which only %u00A35 had been paid.

Asked what benefits he was receiving, he said: %u201CIt doesn%u2019t matter. I%u2019m not paying.%u201D

When told an amount could be removed at source from his benefits to pay off his fines, Johnson said he would sign off benefits rather than pay.

Chairman of the Bench Owen Durrett told Johnson: %u201CWe are very satisfied that you will not pay your fine. We consider this to be wilful refusal to pay. For that we will send you into custody for seven days.%u201D

The BBC's SS (Capita) should be proud

Jailed for watching unlicensed TV - Farnborough News and Mail Online (http://www.farnborough.co.uk/news/2006/2006901/jailed_for_watching_unlicensed_tv)

Timoweb
31-01-2007, 01:05 PM
TEST

Jailed for watching unlicensed TV

A MAN has been jailed for a week after refusing to pay a fine for watching someone else?s unlicensed television.

Aldershot Magistrates? Court heard that Robert Johnson, 32, of Cove Road, Farnborough, had repeatedly refused to pay a fine of ?110 imposed for watching a television without a TV licence.

Michael Devall, from the court?s fine collection service, told the court that in telephone conversations with the service Johnson said he thought it was a stupid fine and hung up.
Advertisementyour story continues below

Mr Devall said Johnson claimed that as he was watching someone else?s television he should not have to pay.

But the court heard that Johnson had repeatedly been told it was an offence to watch any television that was unlicensed, whether or not he owned the set or lived where it was located.

Johnson had also been fined ?35 for driving without insurance, of which only ?5 had been paid.

Asked what benefits he was receiving, he said: ?It doesn?t matter. I?m not paying.?

When told an amount could be removed at source from his benefits to pay off his fines, Johnson said he would sign off benefits rather than pay.

Chairman of the Bench Owen Durrett told Johnson: ?We are very satisfied that you will not pay your fine. We consider this to be wilful refusal to pay. For that we will send you into custody for seven days.?

Calico
31-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Looks like he's been put into custody for dissing the courts really. But I am with you m8, it all stems from this stupid licence. Its a total disgrace.

little_pob
31-01-2007, 07:25 PM
What gets me is he got a bigger fine for not having a TV licence than he did for driving without insurance!!!

youngie
31-01-2007, 08:17 PM
what takes the piss, is because it all goes to the goverment, they do you for everything we do, but all kiddie fiddles get away, what a disgrace to the english justcie system

Shipoftheline
31-01-2007, 08:18 PM
what takes the piss, is because it all goes to the goverment, they do you for everything we do, but all kiddie fiddles get away, what a disgrace to the english justcie system

That all goes to the BBC

youngie
31-01-2007, 08:20 PM
yes and anit that run by the goverment, i think it is anit it mate

little_pob
31-01-2007, 08:48 PM
The BBC is completely independent of the government. Yes, it is regulated by the government charter (rather than by OfCom like ITV, CH4, CH5 etc are) but other than that the government has no say in the BBC. In essence its owned by the licence fee payers.

Hitman
31-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Let us hope that this government do not hold on to power at the next general election.

Our quality of life is diminishing rapidly.

I cant even go out in the car on the weekend without sitting in hour of traffic due to over population

Our skilled workforce are being replaced with un-educated immigrants

We are being forced to work for less money as a result but the cost of living keeps going up

We have many terrorists plotting against us

We wont be allowed to improve our homes without being taxed for it

NHS is in ruins....thay are now saying that you should only be treated free if you have a life threatening illness.

Sick criminals are walking free because of overcrouded prisons.

Never mind say the government just keep flooding the country untill we all live in one big hell hole!

Sorry to change the subject but i needed a rant!

How does that song go........oh yes "things can only get better"

I think not

B-)

Ps ....The BBC are a bunch of fecking lefties

Shipoftheline
01-02-2007, 12:05 AM
yes and anit that run by the goverment, i think it is anit it mate

I think you should spend some more time reading up on the BBC's SS

The BBC is completely independent of the government. Yes, it is regulated by the government charter (rather than by OfCom like ITV, CH4, CH5 etc are) but other than that the government has no say in the BBC. In essence its owned by the licence fee payers.

Yep sad but true and remember this the next time a paedophile gets let free but someone who refuse's to pay for the mighty BBC gets locked up

stickywicket
01-02-2007, 01:43 AM
it's really hard to stomach these reports when you hear paedos are set free because "theres no room at the inn" in judicial point scoring yet when it comes to tv tax theres more than enough room. devolved govt cant come soon enough, gl over there.

BigGLaw
01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Too bloody rite Mate - With u all the way on this one - Rages me !

Well Said

sparksofscotland
01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
the license fee is a complete joke for the P*** they show on tv! can hardly blame the guy for not paying the fine!

supra
01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
they should sort out the real crims and not the people who do the petty crimes

adam
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I agree with you guys the legal system is a complete joke and tv licence fee is way to high for the poor but some one told me it was going up in april.