PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Gemini Install

thermos
12-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok ive decided to take the plunge and try installing Gemini on my Dreambox after some recommendations ive read here about how much more stable it is than Neutrino. But, seeing as my box works fine at the moment apart from the fact that it freezes a lot, theres a few things i want to clear up first of all. :-?

1. I'm not sure exactly what progs i'll need to perform the flash properly, is there more than one? If so, whats best?

2. I successfully flashed my dbox2 from a German image, is the procedure on the dreambox fairly similar?

3. Can I backup the working image i currently have on my dreambox just now and reinstall it later if things bugger up?

4. The files look a bit different on the Dreambox from what they do on the Dbox2, especially with regard to Cams, Emus, Keys etc, (Which im also a newbie with) so im quite in the dark in this respect and need a bit of info.

5. Is there a fairly comprehensive (english) guide that covers all the questions ive just asked and perhaps more? Any hints i've seen say to read as much as possible. I want to, but from where?

Thanks a lot for any help offered. :D

sws
13-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Ok ive decided to take the plunge and try installing Gemini on my Dreambox after some recommendations ive read here about how much more stable it is than Neutrino. But, seeing as my box works fine at the moment apart from the fact that it freezes a lot, theres a few things i want to clear up first of all. :-?

1. I'm not sure exactly what progs i'll need to perform the flash properly, is there more than one? If so, whats best?

2. I successfully flashed my dbox2 from a German image, is the procedure on the dreambox fairly similar?

3. Can I backup the working image i currently have on my dreambox just now and reinstall it later if things bugger up?

4. The files look a bit different on the Dreambox from what they do on the Dbox2, especially with regard to Cams, Emus, Keys etc, (Which im also a newbie with) so im quite in the dark in this respect and need a bit of info.

5. Is there a fairly comprehensive (english) guide that covers all the questions ive just asked and perhaps more? Any hints i've seen say to read as much as possible. I want to, but from where?

Thanks a lot for any help offered. :D

Hi,
Answers to 1 and 2 in my opinion are flash wizard pro, I believe latest is in the dreambox downloads section (this will be using network port to update rather than serial port which is a lot quicker)

Q3...You can also backup your current image using flash wizard.

Q4...I seem to remember osborne posting a guide as to what files go where, have a look around in the forums, if you look really hard you may find a working backup image of the latest gemini image too :D

I would be interested in hearing what you think about the gemini image, I have tried but there are a few things I dont like about it. I still use neutrino but don't find stability an issue.

cheers
sws

notanotherone
13-06-2006, 01:02 PM
i for one never have liked the Gemini image from day one when my boxs came i couldnt wait to get it off thats maybe because i dont lioke the look of them or the layout depends on what neutrino image you are using mines has never given me a problem its a uk image as well

Kiefels
13-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I have recently replaced my Dbox with a Dreambox and I have installed Gemini 1.90 on to it.

Things are quite a lot different to the Dbox2 Neutrino images that I am used to but I didn't let it put me off.

Stability wise, I can't fault it, it has not crashed on me, no image freeze and no chirping but.

The EPG works on the channel lists that are in the Bouquets but very few actually work when you are on the channel itself.
Moving around the Bouquets is a pain in the arse. Whereas on the Dbox2 you could press the left/right button to swap bouquets on this you need to go into the bouquet menu.

Now I maybe nit picking because of having a Dbox for so long and got used to how they worked. I also haven't tried a Neutrino image on the Dreambox so maybe I should but I thought I would share what I thought of Gemini.

You never know an Image creator may read it and take these comments on board. ;-)

thermos
13-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the answers lads, much appreciated. I thought maybe my questions were a bit general, but we've all got to start somewhere right? I've actually bought a booster since i posted and it seems to have cleared up the freezing a bit, its only done it once since i installed it. But as long as i can reflash my current working image back on again later, then i think i'll still give gemini a try.

numdoitoa
18-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for you information that help me a lot