PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Pentium 4 Chip/ Bios?

jahhus
23-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi there

Could someone please advise me if i would need to change my Bios if i was to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.4 (maximum the chip the board can handle apparently).

The mother board manual does not state that i would need to upgrade the Bios at any stage.

If i don't change the Bios before i change the chip, would this be an issue?

At what stage would i know that i defo need to change the Bios for the faster chip?

Thanks again

y2krog2000
23-01-2007, 08:57 AM
You will need to look up the motherboard on the manufacturers website if there is a bios upgrade that says support for new cpu's or something like that you would be better of upgrading the bios but if you are sure the motherboard supported the processor when you bought it then it might work without the bios upgrade. Your probably better of just getting the bios upgrade anyways.

Calico
23-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I think most modern mo-bo's bios auto detects (plug n play) proccessors nowadays. (I'd think one that goes up to 2.4 will be modern enough)
If you dont have manual to check. Post up motherboard make & someone might have same type, to let you know.

Shipoftheline
23-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I think most modern mo-bo's bios auto detects (plug n play) proccessors nowadays. (I'd think one that goes up to 2.4 will be modern enough)
If you dont have manual to check. Post up motherboard make & someone might have same type, to let you know.

They can only auto detect what they know which is why CPU's which came out after the mobo may not be recognised

Calico
23-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah point taken m8. But as said it was from 1.6 to 2.4 max, thought that not too far advanced for bios my self.
But I'll leave it to the experts to advise, sorry ;).

NP's :)

y2krog2000
23-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah point taken m8. But as said it was from 1.6 to 2.4 max, thought that not too far advanced for bios my self.
But I'll leave it to the experts to advise, sorry ;).
NP's :)

I dont think theres anything to be sorry about m8 it probably would work the way you said anyways.:tomato2:

jahhus
24-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I dont think theres anything to be sorry about m8 it probably would work the way you said anyways.:tomato2:

Thanks to all who contributed, and would like to say that have successfully placed the chip in and Bios did not need to be updated.

Thanks! :)