PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox

rayu
22-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi, I am thinking of getting a slingbox to enable me to watch TV anywhere (at work) via a high speed internet connection. I wonder if there is anyone here who has experience of it and can recommend it or something better(cheaper)..

Thanks

Ray

Gazer
23-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I two would like to know about this, i have seen these things at pcworld...and it says you can watch your sky box anywere using your Broadband...can anyone n lighten us on this

Regards Gazer

y2krog2000
23-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Sony make the same thing as slingbox its supposed to be better but its around the same price or a bit dearer. I think this is the same sort of thing but for ?50 PC World - HAUPPAUGE TV ANYWHERE TV CARD - Shop for cheap TV Cards (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddjmdehhddcflgceggdhhmdgom.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=754891&category_oid=)

gamer1967
24-01-2007, 09:30 PM
It does look good, but expensive. If you have a 3 mobile contract, 3 are offering the box at ?99.

The uk version has its own freeview tuner, and you can also connect it up to your sky or whatever.

Interesting looking box- would have been really handy for the world cup!

y2krog2000
24-01-2007, 09:58 PM
That Hauppage one at 50 quid lets you watch and record your home sky/cable tv from anywere in the world with a broadband connection I thought that was all the slingbox did.

gamer1967
25-01-2007, 12:21 AM
The main difference with the slingbox is you don't need to leave your PC on when you go out! But the hauppage looks pretty good too.

y2krog2000
25-01-2007, 08:47 AM
The main difference with the slingbox is you don't need to leave your PC on when you go out! But the hauppage looks pretty good too.

I was wondering why there was a big difference in price dont think the hauppage one would be much good if you were going on holiday then.

Gazer
25-01-2007, 09:39 AM
i thought you could use this to watch your sky progs anywere in the world using a pc ?? thought it worked by sending it to you using a ip ??

rayu
26-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks y2krog2000. The Hauppage card is certainly worth looking into. 150 odd quid is a bit too much to spend imo for the slingbox because I am sure the novelty of it will die off very quickly. ?50 is more reasonable. Though would need to leave the PC on all the time.

Ray

gamer1967
26-01-2007, 09:37 PM
i thought you could use this to watch your sky progs anywere in the world using a pc ?? thought it worked by sending it to you using a ip ??

Yes, you need broadband, but providing you have a switch or hub, you can connect the slingbox to the internet without needing your pc turned on.

If you've got a 3 mobile phone they're claiming you ues this to watch sky on you're mobile! I'll believe it when I see it!

modman
26-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi, I am thinking of getting a slingbox to enable me to watch TV anywhere (at work) via a high speed internet connection. I wonder if there is anyone here who has experience of it and can recommend it or something better(cheaper)..
Thanks
Ray

I have one its good if you have an upload speed of at least 512 otherwise it is too blocky. It is very good on a LAN or a fast upload speed. Rivals may not have as many supported remote device settings. A rival is the hava, i have not used one though.

agsol
27-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I have a slingbox and it is great fun. As well as the internal freeview box it also has an svhs input and a composite input. It also has IR control that is even compatible with cable boxes. So as well as watching freeview from anywhere in the world, you can select one of the other inputs and what and control your Sky+ box.

Regards

PS Forgot to mention it has an analogue tv tuner built in so anything connected thru the aerial feed can also be viewed and controlled.

notanotherone
27-02-2007, 04:28 PM
am really interested in these need to find out more gonna get one b4 gazer gets his :roflmao:

gazman
25-04-2007, 11:26 PM
fantastic. Got mine set up today. was able to watch the liverpool vs chelsea game at work.quality was easily good enough to watch and with the isp's upgrading the speed all the time the quality should get better and better.

tvmad2
14-07-2007, 09:28 PM
the uploads always gonna be a a problem for a lot of people. A minimum of 250 i think

zerofool2005
19-07-2007, 04:57 PM
You need some rapid bandwith for this. And make sure noone else connects to your ip.

A dreambox can already do this

ronakp
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
To be truly portable we need a device that recieves digital terrestial and also has a built in sat dish for sky . No wires! Could then sit on the beach with it.

y2krog2000
09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
These are now only 99 quid in pcworld, tescos and probably everywhere else.

nicK_112
14-09-2007, 03:47 PM
they sound interesting.. but some of the readups on them have been pretty bad, but then half the people who write them aint got a clue so.. if anyone does get one maybe we could get a reliable writeup

didn't notice the second page when i posted last time... seems like there getting quite a good review here but i agree for most people u/l speed is going to be the main problem.