PDA

View Full Version : How do I tile around a light switch

Jango
15-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi, can anybody help me to tell me how to tile around a light switch, the problem I have is the switch is smack round down in the middle of where the tile will go.....so I can use two tiles either side of it.

Thanks if you can help.

weesam
15-01-2007, 04:29 PM
try this m8 draw a line on u'r tile so it's going 2 fit round the switch then put some tape on the inside of the line drill some hole's in the tile get a small grinder and then use that 2 cut the inside of the tile out 2 ur line if that does'nt work the only thing 4 u 2 do is cut the tile in half

15-01-2007, 06:26 PM
the way i do it is take the light switch off the wallmove the wires with the switch attached to one side place the tile in the position where its got to go mark the tile with pencil same size as the metal box thats in the wall itself do that on as many tiles you need depending cut the tile place on wall wait till dry and get some longers screws reattach light and then you have a perfect joining (well you wont see the join)

Declan
15-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Get a clapper and remove the light switch :rofl:

or just mark it out and drill small holes then file it out ( technology class comes un useful) then if done right, it should look good

Jango
15-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Many thanks lads, I appreciate the posts !

Jango
23-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Many thanks to those who gave their tips & tricks, the way I finally cut out the tile was to use an angle grinder, it game me a perfect cut and the light switch fitted lovely over the cut.....hey, if I get enough requests I'll post a picture up for you all.....it turns me on every time I look at my work LOL !

Thanks again

weesam
24-01-2007, 05:00 PM
maybe next time m8 u will work it out that u use 2 tiles 4 a light switch so much better don't u think:trustme:

Jango
25-01-2007, 09:07 AM
maybe next time m8 u will work it out that u use 2 tiles 4 a light switch so much better don't u think:trustme:

Yeh but, no but, I've ended up with a ten times more professional look, if I don't mind saying so myself, in fact I'll give myself a pat on the back (Tervor & Simon if ya remember) LOL!!!!.....but yeh, bit more planning next time.

weesam
25-01-2007, 08:41 PM
well a grinder is a handy tool but i still think the 2 tile way is best 4 round a light switch

tony_simo
25-01-2007, 10:45 PM
well a grinder is a handy tool but i still think the 2 tile way is best 4 round a light switch

I think an angle grinder was a bit over the top for such a small cut's dont you think.... Maybe even a bit dangerous...

branchton
16-03-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with the angle grinder method.It has revolutionised my tiling projects and i can recommend its use especially for circular cuts.It tends to chip the cut edge slightly and its worth watching out for this.