PDA

View Full Version : Notebook DVD Drive Problem

phasee
09-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Had this problem for a while and I am running out of ideas. Will try and describe it as best as possible.

I've had this laptop a year now - Packard Bell Easynote R4650.

When I first got it everything was working fine, no problems. A few months later the DVD drive just dissapears from My computer and the device manager (it is still showing under hidden devices ie. not plugged in) and fails to work. Recently I bought a new slimetype DVD drive, everything went great, it installed and worked. After about 30 minutes, the same thing happened it dissapeared. I had daemon installed so I thought the generic cd-rom drive may be conflicting so I uninstalled it, then reinstalled the dvd drive. Once again worked fine, watched a DVD, removed the DVD, after a while, the drive removed itself from my computer etc etc.

After this I set device manager to show all hidden devices and deleted everything under the DVD/CD Device section, which included, my new DVD Drive, the old one and a few duplicated SCSI's for generic CD-Roms. When I done this and restarted, it did not even pick up the new DVD-Drive in plug and play to install.

I went back to a restore point for this morning and done it again, I now have the new DVD Drivers installed but the same thing has happened, no DVD Drive available. Just went into device manager to try and get some settings but it is now removed from that too, can't remember if I done that or not, this post must be too long :P

Will get settings up asap, hopefully someone can help in the meantime, thanks.

microdot
10-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Try the DVD drive in another laptop to prove that its still a functioning unit
If it is then reinstall OS using floopy drive and network connection need a little dos knolage to format and move OS files to fat32 drive on C: and start the instlation plenty of instructions on then net for this

if the installing OS does not solve the problem then its down to your laptops hardware but unlicky in my experence
my guess is its software problem
good Luck

Eurovox
19-01-2007, 03:14 PM
check the drive is still connected tightly underneat the srew may have became loose.

also check the bios on the laptop by pressing F2 when you start and see if the dvd drive is detected in there.

mayz
29-01-2007, 12:51 PM
uninstall the DVD drive driver and restart your computer, the DVD will reinstall itself and it should be fine :)

Hitman
29-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Dont know if this has any relevence to you but i had a similar problem after using a pc card with usb ports on it.

If i plug in a drive to the fixed usb it wont show in my computer and device manager.

If i take the card out its fine....sounds like something is conflicting.

Did you do anything to the pc before this happened?....ie install hardware or software?

Good luck

whirlweb
29-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Might be worth look into disk management.
1.right click my computer
2.go to manage
3.select disk management
4.if you can see you drive in righ hand side (it may have confliciting drive letter)
5.right click and select "change drive letters and paths"
6.reboot and if your lucky maybe its fixed. (it worked for me many times for cd or usb flash drives that werent showing up in my computer.)