07-01-2007, 11:55 AM
2 years ago i build 2 computers from scratch for my boys
spec:
P4 intel socket 775/chipset 915p
gigabyte motherboard (GA-81915P pro)
2 x 514Mb DDR400 rom (giving 1GIG)
Radeon X600 pro 256 MB DDR with DVI TV PCI-EXPRESS x16
80 Gb HDD IDE
tower with 750 watt ps (from memory) and 4 fans to cool (main ps/cpu heat sink/1 on the graphic card and another on the side of the case, shows different lights but is still a working fan)
so 2 years ago these were top notch then 6/7 months ago my eldest boy's computer started playing up, it wouldn't start and being technically minded my boy wiggled the components about a bit and it worked this would happen once a week then was every day in the end it gave up and so did i, i got him a similar board still gigabyte and has been working fine ever since (touch wood)
now this computer is normally on most of the time in the week 3pm to 12am, weekend its on constantly till monday morning
now here it is my other boy's computer same spec has just started doing exactly the same only starts when it feels like it, now this computer hasn't been touch in 2 years apart from every couple of months or so to clear out any dust/fluff
these computer are in rooms with laminent flooring so there is little debris to clog the computer so its not an overheat problem, gigabyte them self's after a week of waiting sent back a reply "check the fan on the cpu" ive changed bit by bit between the 2 computers and am convinced its the mother board
this computer isnt on as long as the other normally 3pm till 9pm maximum
have gigabyte boards got a timer chip in them that tells the board to stop working so we buy a new 1? i say this because we had a "thompson" tv which would cut out at random and the engineer said they had a chip inside that would fail the tv board after a preset time normally just after the warranty
as the computer normally boots with a high pitched bleep and now sound more like a squeak and doesn't boot could the on-board battery have something to do with it as this is the only common part that hasn't been checked? or does it just hold the bios settings i looked about but cant find the voltage to check for
if nobody has had this problem
how about PLEASE recommending a decent board for the above spec

y2krog2000
07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I dont have any of these but have an asus board that I have never had any problems with here are 2 that should be ok 1st one is a bit dear for me they are both the same chipset as you have now.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=24&model=632&modelmenu=1)

Asus P5GD1 PRO - ASUS P5GD1 Mainboard ATX i915P LGA775 Socket LAN Fast Gigabit RAID (http://www.techstore.co.uk/detail.php?prodLineID=43037)

icemanv3
21-01-2007, 02:32 PM
or you could always get an Intel board. Made by the people that make the chips. I've never had had a problem with them. Very good for overclocking as well.

bladesftp
21-01-2007, 04:12 PM
hey have ya tried removing the battery form the board to see if it clears the mem as if its a timed componet it must need a power source to store the memory in

thesparky
21-01-2007, 04:41 PM
tried that m8 it must be a NV chip (non-volatile)
ive order the board suggested by "y2krog2000" they took my money now awaiting stock (2 weeks now) just have to wait to make it worse i paid 5.49p for 3 working days deliverey as well

thesparky
24-01-2007, 11:21 AM
after waiting for over 2 weeks i finally phoned the company (techstore) about the motherboard but it is still awaiting stock
it seems to me they advertised the wrong board being the pro version and they cant deliver
they have said it will be at least another 2 weeks and advise me to go else where and will give me a full refund
so yes i need another link if someone would be so kind

y2krog2000
24-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I thought that m8 it was to cheap. Best of going to a local computer shop and getting one over the counter just tell them.

Type of memory you have for it.
What socket the processor is
What type of graphics card you have

And see how much they have them for because it might even be cheaper than the internet and it will be easier to return if something goes wrong.

jakebt123
24-01-2007, 11:36 PM
sparky this wouldnt surprise me in the least with some companys , epson printers do exactly the same thing , heres an example after 850 print /clean cycles the epsons refuse to work then throw up a error screen asking you to contact our local depot for service , they will charge 45 pounds , and all they have done is reset the counter in its bios to zero ,,, ripoff,, if anyone has probs with this on epson printers search google for epson reseter program ,,, buglar alarms companys are notorius for this as well

y2krog2000
25-01-2007, 08:52 AM
sparky this wouldnt surprise me in the least with some companys , epson printers do exactly the same thing , heres an example after 850 print /clean cycles the epsons refuse to work then throw up a error screen asking you to contact our local depot for service , they will charge 45 pounds , and all they have done is reset the counter in its bios to zero ,,, ripoff,, if anyone has probs with this on epson printers search google for epson reseter program ,,, buglar alarms companys are notorius for this as well

If your interested the epson resetter is free and its on this site somewere the service utility for epson printers is on the internet somewere for free as well, I think all they done was use the service utility on your printer and charge you for it.

modman
26-01-2007, 09:45 PM
2 years ago i build 2 computers from scratch for my boys
spec:
P4 intel socket 775/chipset 915p
gigabyte motherboard (GA-81915P pro)
2 x 514Mb DDR400 rom (giving 1GIG)
Radeon X600 pro 256 MB DDR with DVI TV PCI-EXPRESS x16
80 Gb HDD IDE
tower with 750 watt ps (from memory) and 4 fans to cool (main ps/cpu heat sink/1 on the graphic card and another on the side of the case, shows different lights but is still a working fan)
so 2 years ago these were top notch then 6/7 months ago my eldest boy's computer started playing up, it wouldn't start and being technically minded my boy wiggled the components about a bit and it worked this would happen once a week then was every day in the end it gave up and so did i, i got him a similar board still gigabyte and has been working fine ever since (touch wood)
now this computer is normally on most of the time in the week 3pm to 12am, weekend its on constantly till monday morning
now here it is my other boy's computer same spec has just started doing exactly the same only starts when it feels like it, now this computer hasn't been touch in 2 years apart from every couple of months or so to clear out any dust/fluff
these computer are in rooms with laminent flooring so there is little debris to clog the computer so its not an overheat problem, gigabyte them self's after a week of waiting sent back a reply "check the fan on the cpu" ive changed bit by bit between the 2 computers and am convinced its the mother board
this computer isnt on as long as the other normally 3pm till 9pm maximum
have gigabyte boards got a timer chip in them that tells the board to stop working so we buy a new 1? i say this because we had a "thompson" tv which would cut out at random and the engineer said they had a chip inside that would fail the tv board after a preset time normally just after the warranty
as the computer normally boots with a high pitched bleep and now sound more like a squeak and doesn't boot could the on-board battery have something to do with it as this is the only common part that hasn't been checked? or does it just hold the bios settings i looked about but cant find the voltage to check for
if nobody has had this problem
how about PLEASE recommending a decent board for the above spec

I find Gigabyte unreliable, My MSI lasted over 6 years, get one of those for sure. Also via chipsets are not as good as intel ones in my opinion drivers are hard to install.