PDA

View Full Version : Installing Xp Problem

khan888
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Hello,

Trying To Install Windows Xp But Keeps Crashing For Some Reason.iv'e Restarted Pc,booted Up From Cdrom,full Format On Ntfs Hard Drive,it Starts Copying Files But When It Reboots It Crashes On The Windows Xp Screen At The Same Point Everytime Before It Contiues Installing.iv'e Tried The Windows Xp Cd On Other Computers And It Works Fine.

Any Ideas
Cheers

whirlweb
03-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Could be alot of things like Hardrive, memory module or a hardware issue I would remove any uneeded peripherals like sound cards etc and try again if no luck stick another HD in and memory still no luck try another OS to see if you can get around it like win 2000. If still no go it may be motherboard. You could always set the partition smaller and set it at another location on the HDrive using partion magic or something similar just in case you have bad clusters on the hard drive.

sposa
03-01-2007, 01:08 AM
You know wot I had the exact same problem with my brothers computer, I brought it to the shop they told me it was becuase i was using a older version of windows xp for that machine. So my only tip to you is get a more updated version of Windows XP.

Me myself didnt even know there was a more updated version of windows xp. I have always used the same one and still works but didnt work on my bro's comp so I have downloaded a more updated version just havent tried it yet.

Hope this helps.

Sposa

alyas786
03-01-2007, 02:18 AM
could be anything even the cpu you are useing i had an amd first and was inbstalling winxp ok but when i got p4 i used the same Cd but gave me problem installing all the time at same point aswell but when u used another Xp cd it worked Ok with no problem and even HDD has problems on it soemtimes best is Delet all partitions and redue the partitions and use diffrent sizes this time this might work

vintrino
03-01-2007, 06:13 AM
post your sys specs up and ill see if i can work it out

y2krog2000
03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
If its a sata hard drive xp will crash if you havent installed the drivers for it, you need to press F6 when it asks you when installing xp. Other than this unplug any usb devices that you dont need to use when installing windows. Post the make and model of your pc or the stuff you are using in it.

ronnie11
03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
As daft as it sound's i had same problem & it came down to the disc copied another problem was solved, Its worth a try.

khan888
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
My hard drive was a fat32 and split into 2 partitions but when iv'e converted to a ntfs system into 1 partition thats when i could not install xp

bighus
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
you may need the boot up code

y2krog2000
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
My hard drive was a fat32 and split into 2 partitions but when iv'e converted to a ntfs system into 1 partition thats when i could not install xp

Delete the partitions when trying to install then you will be left with one big bit of your hard drive instead of wee bits, then format that and install xp on it. Unless you wanted to keep the data on one of the partitions this should work.

weeblackhelicopter
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Try formatting the Hard Drive with FAT rather than NTFS when you are going through the setup process.

Cheers

:fishy:

tiger54
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Hello,
Trying To Install Windows Xp But Keeps Crashing For Some Reason.iv'e Restarted Pc,booted Up From Cdrom,full Format On Ntfs Hard Drive,it Starts Copying Files But When It Reboots It Crashes On The Windows Xp Screen At The Same Point Everytime Before It Contiues Installing.iv'e Tried The Windows Xp Cd On Other Computers And It Works Fine.
Any Ideas
Cheers
the problem you have mate with your pc is your hard drive is creaqm crackered time to get a new one

y2krog2000
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
the problem you have mate with your pc is your hard drive is creaqm crackered time to get a new one

I wouldnt go and buy a new hard drive just yet, if he trys different things im sure he will get it working. Ive only had 1 hard drive break on me and thats because I fiddled with it and broke one of the pins out of the back of it.

khan888
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
This is the weirdest thing i've tried installing on a different hard drive and even used a different xp disk but still crashing at the same place,Do you think it could be something to do with the pc?

freakycats
03-01-2007, 11:31 PM
hi, it sounds like you've tried almost everything. i had a similar prob. all it turned out to be, was that someone had put to much paste on the cpu.when xp was trying to install, it reached it's peak tempreture as set in the bios,and restarted its self every time. on putting a SMALL amount of paste on, and not the buckets that other people do. the temp dropped, installed xp perfectly, and has been running fine for a year.
hope this helps
freakycat

silid
04-01-2007, 11:56 AM
in my experience, when you spend hours trying to get something to work and it always fails for no apparent fault of yours - some piece of hardware is faulty.

your job is now to start swapping bits around to find out what

soogo
22-01-2007, 02:22 PM
when you install your XP,use slow format do not use Fast mode,if same problem,check your memory stick or installation disk.

digi666
22-01-2007, 04:00 PM
i think silid is right start swapping components one by one, you could try the microsoft memory checker program, that may help if you have configuration or faulty memory issues.

p.dutchman
22-01-2007, 04:54 PM
ok mate best way to resolve this is go right to the begining first you need to tell us the memory size cpu and hard drive capacity then we can work through this in a structured aproach speaking as a mature I.T.Techy this is the only way to do it , not try this, try that, hold your breath ,restart, stand on one leg with your finger up your ar*e .believe me this dont work

Gingy
27-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Dunno if this is relevane but I have found that XP install better with just one stick of memory rather than the wedge my computer ends up with.
Just a solution I read about a few years back and at the time it worked for me and I have continued to use it whenever doing my own or other peoples computers.

gonkeboy
27-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Try removing and reseating your memory sticks if not replace them if you can. Bad memory or poorly seated memory will cause your symptoms, just summit else to try.

sagatr
30-01-2007, 11:11 PM
try different set of Memory

khan888
15-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Removed everything that i could and all i have in my pc is memory and hard drive running but still get the same problem.Tried a brand new hard drive and different memory but still the same problem.Could it be the motherboard?

y2krog2000
15-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Removed everything that i could and all i have in my pc is memory and hard drive running but still get the same problem.Tried a brand new hard drive and different memory but still the same problem.Could it be the motherboard?
your xp cd might be scratched, try a different cd.

evilclive
15-03-2007, 08:30 PM
If your hard disk is more than 120GB, and you're using original XP (not Service Pack 1 or 2), you need to install to a partition no larger than about 131GB, or you'll hit the 48 bit LBA (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. problem.

khan888
16-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Tried 4 different windows xp discs and still no luck crashes on the same place.my hard drive is only 60GB and i'm using a xp sp2 disc

Speedy2206
16-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Can you post the error message code? If you hit F8 before it boots up from HDD for first time then you should be able to select "Disable automatic restart on failure". Then you will be able to have a proper look at the blue screen and get a better indication as to what the problem could be.

My personal theory is the RAM or SATA drivers (if applicable). But posting the exact error code will give a better indication.

khan888
16-03-2007, 09:49 AM
It dosen't give me an error code the blue windows xp loading bar crashes after its gone past once

peelaa
16-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Is it a SATA hard drive? I had the same problem when building my pc. Turns out I was using the wrong sata driver. XP would install but crash when it tryed to boot after installation.

evilclive
16-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Tried 4 different windows xp discs and still no luck crashes on the same place.my hard drive is only 60GB and i'm using a xp sp2 disc

Mentioning the size of your hard disk allows the forum to make an educated guess as to the age of your computer. If it's a desktop, it probably dates from around 2003; if it's a laptop, it should still be under warranty.

What you've said also allows us to rule out software errors and scratched disks. This just leaves hardware faults.

My money is on one of the following:

[1] You're using ****ty memory, such as the stuff made by Adata or Vdata.

[2] If it's an Athlon XP, you've set the motherboard speed wrong (very unlikely, as it usually drops to a safe 100MHz if a fault occurs).

[3] The previous owner overclocked the CPU so hard that he damaged it.

[4] Your power supply is inadequate. Anything less than 300 watts will give you problems for sure.

Firstly, could you open up your computer and find out

[A] The manufacturer of your RAM (it should say on a sticky label; otherwise look at the silicon chips).

[B] The manufacturer and power rating of your power supply.

Second, you should run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. either download it and stick it onto a floppy disk, or it comes with most Linux CDs.

Please post the details that Memtest86+ prints on the top left of the screen, and also let us know if any of the memory tests fail.

khan888
19-03-2007, 10:19 PM
When i Disable CPU internal cache in bios the pc finally boots up to the next setup screen but its really slow.Is this the CPU that needs replacing?

evilclive
20-03-2007, 08:28 PM
When i Disable CPU internal cache in bios the pc finally boots up to the next setup screen but its really slow.

That's not a very helpful thing to do.

In any modern computer, the CPU runs at something like 5-10 times the speed of the main memory. To get around this bottleneck, the CPU has some high-speed memory, called cache memory, built into it. If you disable the cache memory, the CPU must fetch every byte it needs from the main memory: this means on average, the CPU will only be running at a small fraction of its possible speed.

While the CPU is waiting for the main memory to catch up, the rest of the computer is also waiting for the CPU. So it's unsurprising that everything crawls like treacle. And while the computer runs so slowly, the hardware problem (the one causing the computer to crash when running at full speed) is obviously not going to kick in.

If you have an Athlon CPU rather than a Pentium 4, there will be a page in the BIOS setup called "SoftCPU III". This will let you choose the motherboard speed (100, 133, 166 or 200 MHz); the CPU speed is a fixed multiple of this speed. Try dropping the speed to the lowest setting.

foggyuk
26-03-2007, 12:40 PM
A friend of mine had same problem it turned out to be faulty memory,that could be a starting point for you.....good luck

mickyrobbo
04-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I think this happens when you our loading xp because you have downloaded service packs 1 + 2 over the time your pc has updated itself,,, and then it will not load as you our trying to load a older system than is on your computer,as this has happened to me ,,not really sure this is the same problem you are having,,but I know it is one of the problems when trying to rebbot system back to day one ,with oridginal disc,,

evilclive
04-04-2007, 03:44 AM
A friend of mine had same problem it turned out to be faulty memory,that could be a starting point for you.....good luck

Getting feedback from the original poster is like breaking rocks with a spoon. He still hasn't got round to stating his computer's hardware configuration.

Your guess is more or less the same as mine. But until we get some answers from Khan888, any further conjecture would be a waste of time.

eeipcy
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I had a similar issue, SATA drivers missing and no IDE channels on the motherboard.
So to fix the missing SATA drivers in the Windows XP install CD, I downloaded the drivers from the motherboards website and used a freeware piece of software called nLite to make a new Windows XP install CD with the missing SATA drivers for my motherboard.

At a guess in your case it could be motherboard drivers and not SATA drivers, but the process is exactly the same.

newbie22
12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
hi u mite have a bad sector on your harddrive thats why it crashes

bailey
13-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi i do a lot of instalations of xp and the many faults ive come accross are:-
1) cdrom/dvd drive suprised noone has stated this as this is my first thought
2) Memory too small or damaged
3) Amd proccessors sometimes have a problem with instalations i usualy put a drive(ide) in with the instalation files and install hd to hd works 99% time as long as the cpu and memory are fine as there are no chance of packets being missread/dropped.
4) If still failing run scandisk on the drive in another pc for bad sectors(try this if you think the drive is bad)

other than this you have inteferance by the pc while installing.

Hope this helps.

shaan
30-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Some times its the memory conflict as well and make sure u r using legal copy of windows xp.

davep
31-05-2007, 11:37 PM
what xp disc are you using, has it got service 2 intergraded if not try this, you will need a spare cdr, this will ingrade service pack 2 to your disc

download this (Service pack 2)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

then download and install this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

you will be able to intergrate service pack 2 with you xp disc, youi will have to select a place to save your xp files from your disc, you then select to intergrate service pack, and then make an iso file, which you will need to burn. If you have nothing to burn it with this

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

hope this helps