PDA

View Full Version : LCD or PLASMA 37' HELP PLEASE.....

PAUL7331
30-12-2006, 12:47 AM
IS this any good?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Im serioulsy considering buying either a LCD or plasma, I can only go up to 37' though as my living room's corner aint big enough. any suggestions? BTW im wanting to spend from between 450-?800 on the old cred card to get one.

boabness
30-12-2006, 10:26 AM
go for the lcd m8 plasmas suffer from screen burn sony dont do plasmas in there new range because of this

soly486
31-12-2006, 07:37 AM
i have heard that LCD have got more longer life then plasma but then plasma has got better pic quility then LCD so it dependes on your prefrence !!

PAUL7331
31-12-2006, 07:00 PM
i have heard that LCD have got more longer life then plasma but then plasma has got better pic quility then LCD so it dependes on your prefrence !!

Well I would prefer better picture quality really mate. Is this definately true that plasmas have better pic quality than LCD'S?

Dunc
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Have had same dilema for about a year just bought a panasonic 37" veira at ?799 inc a five year warranty through price match with currys and john lewis.
Its brilliant picture and really pleased with it.
Things are changing so much it was eventually the price that made me buy as I had been going to go for the new Toshiba wlt68 but it was double the price of the panny and I dont think worth the extra.
Great brand at great price ........... I am happy lo l:) :)

Bornsf1982
02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I would go for the LCD. I have 3 of them and they never let me down. Make sure it has HD.

Parva
02-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Well I would prefer better picture quality really mate. Is this definately true that plasmas have better pic quality than LCD'S?
Picture quality is reputed to be better on plasma's largely I believe due to the much higher contrast ratio's they have which produces 'darker black' (for want of better words) and therefore slightly more vibrant colours due to the contrast between black and colours. The downside is that plasma's tend to be much heavier, have a lower life-cycle (though this is improving in relation to LCD's) and 'fade' over time. There's also the screen-burn issue but this is pretty rare nowadays as manufacturers are finding ways to prevent this happening so easily.

I too faced this dilemma recently and ended up getting a 42" LCD and having played my XBox 360 in Hi-Def it simply looks stunning! Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending how you view it - no pun intended) I haven't seen the two screens side by side and it's quite possible that the plasma would look better still but I comfort myself with the fact that the LCD looks awesome and doesn't suffer any of the problems associated with the plasma. The lamp is rated at 50,000 to 60,000 hours depending on manufacturer so I'm confident I'll have plenty life out of it whereas the plasma will start fading in time.

afterhourz
03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
That woolworths LCD is a rebranded Thompson...I heard nothin but good reviews about it

Buy Techwood LCD HD Ready TV 37 from Woolworths.co.uk online shop (http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50790688)

kryten77
04-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Latest generation Plasma's have a useful life of approx 6 years if left on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Thats not likely to happen though is it.
I have a 42" Samsung Plasma and it came with a 5 year warranty so no worries there then.

rustyspoon
07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Another thing to consider..........
LCD screens do not have the annoying reflections that plasma have ( depends on how crucial this is for you )..think about the positioning of the screen...if you can see a reflection in your current TV then I would choose LCD over Plasma for this reason alone....The picture quality on both types is fantastic and to most people look equally good...

J.

maz_17
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Just bought a 37" Viera HD Panasonic plasma TV over christmas. Very pleased with this TV so far! The colours on it are just simply FANTASTIC and so is the sound quality!! Reason i chose plasma over LCD was that plasma TVs offer more darker colours compared to LCD tv sets as they have a higher contrast ratio. I suppose at the end of the day its about your personal preference. Don't let things like screen burning etc drive you away from plasmas, instead decide if you enjoy watching movies with darker more realistic colours, or if you like the more vivid brighter colours which LCD offer. My choice.......plasma

deezil
19-02-2007, 07:15 PM
37" Viewpia LC-37IE22 HD Ready Silver Widescreen LCD TV, HDCP, HDMI (2yr Collect and Return Warranty) (LC-37IE22) available at To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. my mate got a cracking lcd at very good price try this

drusso66
19-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I have a Panasonic 37" Plasma and also a 32" Toshiba LCD, the Panasonic Plasma is better picture quality but double the price.
Normally Plasmas are better for the bigger screens eg 42" and above and LCD are ok up to 32" and maybe 37".

But nowadys the LCD is catching up with the Plasma quality, personally I think if you are looking foe quality picture it's not Plasma or LCD you should think about but the Manufacturer who makes them.