PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that plasmas/lcd only have a limited life?

sedate2
26-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi,

I have a friend who mentioned that either plasmas or lcd's only have a finite life..once the lamp goes thats it? Is this true as I was thinking of replacing our old CRT tv soon. Do they have a lamp? I have no idea how they work...

Parva
27-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Yes, they do have finite lives though the same could be said of CRT, nothing lasts forever. LCD's were generally expected to last roughly double that of plasma screens but I believe plasma has improved much lately and is pretty much comparable to LCD. As it is, my 42" LCD is rated at 50,000 hours which equates to 5.7 years of the TV being on full time 24 hours a day!

iron-man
27-12-2006, 11:15 AM
doesnt everything have a set life!?! unfortunatly nothing lasts forever. electronics, machinery, cars etc. have to break to keep the economy going....and to part is with our money of course!!! but from what i hear getting a plasma or LCD is well worth it!! and i imagine in years to come when the one you get now breaks they'll be cheaper then!! so it should cost too much to replace!!

soly486
31-12-2006, 07:40 AM
i totaly agree that and i shall mention that by the time we use this LCd or plasma for 7 or 8 years they are out of dat again so it will be time to buy another product hey!!!

weezil101
31-12-2006, 10:32 AM
If you read the technical specification bit of any electrical / electronic device or appliance you'll see that most things from washing machines to CD-ROM drives have an "expected life" rating.

Most newer screens have expected lifetimes of around 60,000 hours. At 6 hours per day that equals 27 years.

plasterer
14-01-2007, 01:33 AM
If you read the technical specification bit of any electrical / electronic device or appliance you'll see that most things from washing machines to CD-ROM drives have an "expected life" rating.
Most newer screens have expected lifetimes of around 60,000 hours. At 6 hours per day that equals 27 years.

Well there edging there bets givin you a 12 month warrenty arnt they

krazylegz
14-01-2007, 06:57 AM
yip by the time it fooks there'll be a new product out. i'm still waiting for my 32" panasonic widescreen to die as the missus said i cant get a new one till it dies:( i've tried banging it,kicking it when she's not in the room but thing just wont die;)

y2krog2000
14-01-2007, 09:41 AM
i'm still waiting for my 32" panasonic widescreen to die as the missus said i cant get a new one till it dies:( i've tried banging it,kicking it when she's not in the room but thing just wont die;)

Get a wii ive seen that they have bust a few screens :9:

krazylegz
14-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Get a wii ive seen that they have bust a few screens :9:

lmao could be worth a try but known my luck i'll just breah the remote and not the tv....lol

stickywicket
14-01-2007, 07:21 PM
yip by the time it fooks there'll be a new product out. i'm still waiting for my 32" panasonic widescreen to die as the missus said i cant get a new one till it dies:( i've tried banging it,kicking it when she's not in the room but thing just wont die;)

a sneaky guy might take out a fuse or remove the power cable, missus gets home trys the tv, o no its broke shes gonna miss corrie, you go buy a nice new 42" flatscreen and save the day. take the old one an flog it to some less fortunate sole, everyones a winner.

jot027
26-01-2007, 11:01 PM
apart from something breaking the main worry as stated before is the bulb going. If they last as long as they say (5 years +) then will they still manufacture the bulb you require.

I don't think so, so a forced upgrade is inevitable i guess.

scottnewlove
27-02-2007, 04:23 PM
yes this is true but it probally take like 10 years with your plasma on 24/7 but what doesnt brake