PDA

View Full Version : picture ok but no sound on tv.....

riversider
17-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi all. This one has me stumped & I don't know if its a hardware or software problem. I've just purchased a Nokia DBOX 2 which was supposed to be set up and working for the UK (Linux Neutrino in debug mode with the latest Sportster Image...whatever that all means?!). I scanned in the local area channels and they are fine but with no sound. I've tried both scart sockets and checked everything is secure. I've tried flashing another image to the box (Shelby Cobra?) and this gives me a couple of seconds of audio while I change the channel but once the picture appears the sound goes off again. I've checked my audio settings with a m8 but that's made no difference. Interestingly the radio part of the box works ok!!! :-/ Sorry for the long post but I'm getting desperate now so any help would be much appreciated.

fergalsworld
17-12-2006, 11:25 PM
So have you tried pressing
dbox,settings,audio and change "volume control" to avs,lirc or ost
then save settings.

riversider
18-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Yep, sorry I've tried that and tried changing the number setting on lirc from 0 to 9 & everything in between. No effect unfortunately. I was wondering if it could be one of the IC'S mentioned in the DBOX FAQ's under 'Hardware', but then why does it work on radio....?

fergalsworld
18-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Seems weired you get sound on radio but not tv
Never heard of a cobra image try another image.
Give the mainboard a good clean around the chips.
try another scart lead but you most probably have already.

riversider
18-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah I was wondering if it was a different audio chipset for radio and tv so I'm sorta glad you find it weird too as that may suggest that its common to both. If that's the case it would seem to be a software rather than hardware problem. I'll maybe try to download another, more upto date image

omoeko
18-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Have you also made sure that you have no splitters etc on the cable feed ?

riversider
24-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm not using any splitters but there was a 6db pad (attenuator) in line to the original Telewest box but I've tried the DBOX with and without this and it makes no difference. I'm now wondering if the signal needs a booster as it seems weird that i get sound for a couple of seconds after changing channels until the picture appears at which point the sound goes off. Almost as if there isn't enough signal strength to work sound and audio ?????

preetstud69
27-12-2006, 04:07 PM
yeh for real, a signal booster will the trick, i had the same issue, got a booster, happy viewing!

riversider
28-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for that m8, I'll try a booster as you suggest.

riversider
30-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Would you let me know which booster model you used? I bought an SLx from Argos as recommended in the DBOX2 help files but its made no difference, though its working frequency didn't seem to have enough bandwidth to use with cable. Any info would be much appreciated. Cheers