PDA

View Full Version : whats the point (wait for the ps3 instead)

dil
15-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I cant see the point in getting a blue ray player, they're far too expensive,
if you relly want one wait for the PS3 to be released (march 07) which will play blue ray films as well as state of the art games and best of all it's much cheaper than just the blue ray players.

Gazer
15-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Hmmm you say that the PS3 plays blu-ray films better than the blu-ray players for the price.....i thought you had to buy a adaptor before it would play at the resolution of 1080p ???

dil
16-12-2006, 11:10 PM
yes you will need an adapter (cable).
The ps3 on its own is capable of dispaying 1080p the lead sony supplys (AV CABLE S VIDEO) with a new ps3 will not allow all that data/signal to the hdtv at 1080P.
PlayStation.com - Support - PLAYSTATION%u00AE3 - GettingStarted (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. even if you paid for the adapter to get the 1080p it will still work out cheaper than the player on its own. (by looking at USA ps3 prices and uk blue ray player prices)
I'd personaly prefer to get the ps3 which will play games and blue ray movies.

P.s. for people who dont know HD-DVDs will not play in a blue ray player its vice versa as well unfortunately.

Diablo13
18-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I personnally see no point in buying a Blu ray player of any flavour. Sony have the copywrite on blu ray so you will be at their mercy. HDD is the way to go I think. If you want a PS3 then you will get blu ray with it, but dont buy a ps3 just for the blu ray. We are back on the vhs v betamax debate again and despite Sonys selling power they will be up against all the other manufacturers who will be able to produce HDD. I think Sony and blu ray will lose out to HDD in the end and all the people who have paid lots of money for bluey will end up with an expensive non supported piece of junk. Just my opinion. :thumbdown:

dil
19-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Nice post diablo13 if there is a blu-ray that comes into my house it will only be due to the ps3.

I've just read they both use the blue laser (Laser wavelength 405nm) Hd-DVD and Blue-Ray!
The only difference's i could find between the players was the blue ray use's a lense and has a faster data transfer and more storage space on disks. lol

movie industries that will support Blu-ray format
Warner
Paramount
Fox
Disney
Sony
MGM
Lionsgate

Movie industried that will support HD-DVD
Warner
Paramount
Universal

(the above info is from :- Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. it remember the info is from blu-ray.com so it's bound to make the HD-DVD look bad/inferior).

Diablo13
20-12-2006, 07:09 AM
I will be very surprised if almost all franchises releasing films will not support both formats! They need to to maximise sales so they will support both from the beginning and drop the least popuular format. They will also need to capitalise as much as possible before the formats are cracked. On the other hand if both systems use basically the same laser there should be no reason why it could'nt be adapted to play both formats, or even incorporate two lasers into a machine to give it versatility?
The one stumbling block to this would be Sony themselves who would stop this, at least innitially, using copywrite law, to maximise profit from their expensive in house developed system. They would change their minds if Bluray does not prove as popular as they hope and have to content themselves with the smaller profits they would still make from licensing production to third parties. :-?
I hear rumours of a "GreenRay" system which would allow massive amounts of data to be stored on a dual or even quadruple layer disk. If true such a disk would be a marvellous backup tool for either home pc users or more especially business applications.
No wonder hard drives are getting bigger and cheaper. :6:

h04n9
20-12-2006, 09:17 AM
yep i my self would get a ps3. Its a game console with a bonus blue-ray player. cheaper

wedgie
20-12-2006, 07:48 PM
not a tec head, but i dont care, they have hacked blu ray movies in the states. so the games should come soon. LONG LIVE THE HACKERS AND FREE GAMING.

dil
21-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Spot on Diablo13

have a look at this :- Welcome to VMD (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and
http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&symbol=&storyID=2006-09-26T151708Z_01_L26155572_RTRIDST_0_TECH-DVD-FORMATS.XML&pageNumber=0&WTModLoc=InvArt-C1-ArticlePage3&sz=13

If i read it right a british company has made a disc that is cheaper and will work with Blu-ray players as well as HD-DVD players. so film industried only need to burn on 1 disk, and not seperate disc's.

Green-ray sounds interesting if it is true, But when it does that will drop the prices down of the succesfull player/writer of blu-ray or hd-dvd's to a more affordabe price for everyone.

I just wondered would a pc be able to record hd-dvd's? i know blu-ray writers will be available for pc's

Diablo13
21-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Thanks dil for the link to a very interesting article. Nice to see Britain at the forefront of something for a change. It sounds like when these new disks are available they will not only drive down the prices of current disk formats but actually replace them altogether. The film and games industry will have to start using them first in consumer quantities and machines to play them need to be available at a reasonable price. It sounds like the machine side is all in hand as well. The way technology moves nowadays we could all be seeing the benefits of the new disks and players in the next 6 months or so. If this is the case I would expect the bluRay only PS3 to be dead in the water as far as a home entertainment medium is concerned.

In answer to your question I think bluray players are already available for the Pc and the software to play them is a part of the latest Nero 7. I am not sure about hdd players for the pc but if they are not already available, they cant be far away.

dil
22-12-2006, 12:19 AM
what will be really funny is if a 3rd part company never herd of comes out with a player that will play blu-ray and HD-dvd disc's.
similarly when well know branded dvd players were released here that had region codes locked costing around ?150(ish) few months later asda was selling dvd players (names never herd of before) region lock free and some could play divx's costing a lot less than well known branded players.

infiniti
22-12-2006, 01:10 AM
i dont think blue ray or hdd will win, plain old dvd has still got a lot of life left in it yet ,joe bloggs in the street is just getting used to it now ie recording,editing and dual layer discs etc.so 5 years from now there will probably be a new format or an improved version of the winner between blue ray and hdd,remember its not who makes the best or what does what,its the mainstream public thats got the biggest say.:rolleye:

scouse1742
20-04-2007, 06:12 PM
a friend of mine has a toshiba hdd player & a panasonic blue ray player & a ps3 , He says the toshiba hdd player is the worst & the ps3 plays best

kujina
08-04-2008, 10:02 PM
PS3's now cost less so is a very good option for a Blu-ray player

monkeybrains
09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I just got a PS3 and watched my first bluray movie. Totally amazed by the picture quality!

dil
10-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Looks like Blue-ray is leading the way for the future:-

Movie studio support

BLUE RAY
20th Century Fox
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Hollywood Pictures
Lions Gate
Miramax Entertainment
MGM Studios
New Line Cinema
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Touchstone Entertainment
The Walt Disney Company
Vivendi Universal Games
Warner Bros.

HD DVD
Dreamworks
Paramount Pictures
Universal Studios

Companies listed as Members of the Board or Managing Members

BLUE-RAY
Apple, Inc.
Dell, Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Panasonic (Matsu****a Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures and Television
Warner Bros.

HD DVD
Memory-Tech Corporation
NEC Corporation
Sanyo Electric Co.
Toshiba Corporation

Companies listed as Members, Associate Members, or Contributors
BLUE-RAY
1K Studios, LLC
Acer Incorporated
Adobe Systems
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Allion Test Labs, Inc.
Almedio Inc.
Alpine Electronics Inc.
Alticast
Aplix Corporation
ArcSoft, Inc.
Arima Devices Corporation
ashampoo GmbH & Co. KG
ASV Corp.
AudioDev AB
Avid Development GmbH
B&W Group
B.H.A. Corporation
BASF AG
BluFocus Inc.
Bose Corporation
Brickbox Digital Media
Broadcom Corporation
Canon Inc.
Cheertek Inc.
China Hualu Group Co., Ltd.
Cinram Manufacturing Inc.
CMC Magnetics Corporation
Corel Corporation
Cryptography Research Inc.
Custom Technology Inc.
CustomFlix Labs, Inc.
CyberLink Corp.
D&M holdings, Inc.
D-Box Technologies Inc.
Daewoo Electronics Corporation
Daikin Industries, Ltd.
DATARIUS Technologies GmbH
Daxon Technology Inc.
DCA Inc.
Deluxe Media Services Inc.
Dolby Laboratories Inc.
Dr. Schwab Inspection Technology GmbH
Dreamer Co., Ltd.
DTS, Inc.
Eclipse Data Technologies
Elpida Memory, Inc.
Esmertec
Expert Magnetics Corp.
Falcon Technologies International
FUJIFILM Corporation
Fujitsu Ltd.
Fujitsu Ten Ltd.
Funai Electric Co., Ltd.
GalleryPlayer Media Networks
Gear Software
General Members
Gibson Guitar Corp.
Global Machinery Co., Ltd.
Gowell Electronic Limited
Hie Electronics, Inc.
Hoei Sangyo Co., Ltd
Horizon Semiconductor.
IMAGICA Corp.
Imation Corp.
Info Source Multi Media Ltd.
INFODISC Technology Co., Ltd.
Infomedia Inc.
Intersil Corporation
Iwatsu Test Instruments
Kenwood Corporation
Kobe Steel Co. Ltd.
Konica Minolta Opto Inc.
Lauda Co. Ltd.
Lead Data Inc.
LEADER ELECTRONICS CORP
Lenovo
LINTEC Corporation
Lionsgate Entertainment
LITE-ON IT Corporation
Macrovision Corp.
Magnum Semiconductor, Inc.
MainConcept AG
MediaTek Inc.
Meridian Audio Ltd.
MIT Technology Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co.Ltd.
Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
Mitsumi Electric Co., Ltd.
Monster Cable Products
Moser Baer India Limited
MoSys Incorporated
Must Technology Co., Ltd.
MX Production Services
NEC Electronics Corporation
NEC Personal Products Ltd.
Nero
Netflix Inc.
Newtech Infosystems Inc.
NexWave Solutions
NHK Technical Services, Inc.
Nichia Corporation
Nikkatsu Corporation
NTT Electronics Corporation
nVidia Corporation
OC Oerlikon Balzer AG
Omnibus Japan Inc.
Onkyo Corporation
Online Media Technologies Ltd.
Ono Sokki Co., Ltd.
OPT Corporation
Optodisc Technology Corporation
Origin Electric Co., Ltd.
Osmosys SA
Pico House
Pixela Corporation
Plannet Associates
PoINT Software & Systems GmbH
Pony Canyon Enterprise
Primera Technology, Inc.
Prodisc Technology Inc.
Pulstec Industrial Co., Ltd.
Q-TEC, Inc.
Quanta Storage Inc.
Quantized Systems
Realtek Semiconductors
Ricoh Co., Ltd.
Rimage Corporation
Ritek Corporation
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
ShibaSoku Co. Ltd.
Sigma Designs Inc.
Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
Singulus Technologies
Sonic Solutions
Sony BMG Music Entertainment
ST Microelectronics
Sunext
Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.,
Targray Technology International Inc.
TEAC Corporation
Teijin Chemicals Ltd.
Texas Instruments, Inc.
The Cannery
THX Ltd.
Toei Video Company Ltd.
Toho Company, Ltd.
Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.
TOPTICA Photonics AG
Trailer Park
UmeDisc Ltd.
Universal Music Group, Inc.
Victor Company of Japan, Ltd.
VideACE Inc.
Visionare Corporation
Yamaha Corporation
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
Zentek Technology Japan, Inc.
ZOOtech Ltd.
Zoran Corporation

HD DVD
Acer Inc.
ACSES Co.,Ltd.
Ad Seeds Co.,Ltd
Allion Test Labs, Inc.
Almedio Inc.
Alpine Electronics, Inc.
Altech Ads Co.
ArcSoft, Inc
AudioDev AB
B.H.A Corporation
Bandai Visual Co.
BEKO Elektronik
Broadcom Corporation
Canon Inc.
CDN Corporation
Clariant Japan
CMC Magnetics Corporation
Corel Corporation
CyberLink Corp
D&M Holdings Inc.
Daikin Industries
Daiko.co,ltd.
Daxon Technology Inc.
Dedicated Devices, Inc.
DigiOn, Inc.
Digital Site Corporation
Disc Labo Corp.
Dolby Labs, Japan
Dr. Schwab Inspection Technology GmbH
DT Japan, Inc.
DTS, Inc.
Ebistrade, Inc.
Entertainment Network Inc.
Exa International
Expert Magnetics Corp.
Finepack . Co.,LTD
Flag,Inc.
Fuji Photo Film Co.
Fuji Plastic Co.
Fuji Seiki Co.
Fujitsu Limited.
Funai Electric Co.
Gear Software, Inc
Gibson Musical Instruments
GM Records
Hamamatsu Metrix co.,ltd.
Hitachi Corporation
Hitachi Maxell, Ltd.
Hoei Sangyo Co.
IDE-AVA
IMAGICA Corp.
Imation Corp
Info Source Multi Media Korea Ltd.
Infodisc Technology Co.
Intel Corporation
Itri
Jp Co., Ltd
Justsystem Corporation
Kadokawa Holdings, Inc.
Kaleidescape, Inc.
Kenwood Corporation
Kinyosha Printing Co.
Konica Minolta Opto, Inc.
Lenovo Japan
McRay Corporation
Megan Media Holdings Bhd
Microsoft Corporation
Mitomo Co., Ltd
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd. / Verbatim
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
Moser Baer India Ltd
MPO INTERNATIONAL
Nero AG
NetBlender, Inc.
NHK Technical Services, INC.
Nichia Corporation
Nihonvtr Inc.
Nikkatsu Corporation
nixbu Entertainment GmbH & Co. KG
Oerlikon Japan Co., Ltd.
Omnibus Japan
Onken Corporation
Onkyo Corporation
Online Media Technologies Ltd.
Origin Electric Co.
Outpost FX (AB) International
Paramount Home Entertainment
Pegasys, Inc.
Pico House Co.,Ltd
Pixela Corporation
Plasmon OMS Sarl
Pony Canyon Inc.
PonyCanyon Enterprise INC.
Proboxx, Inc
Prodisc Technology Inc.
Protron Digital Inc.
Pryaid Records Inc.
Pulstec Industrial Co.
Q-Tec,Inc.
Query inc
Ricoh Co.
Ritek Corporation
Sanken Media Product Co., Ltd.
Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation
Sonic Solutions
Sonopress GmbH
Sumitomo Heavy Industries. Ltd
Super Vision, Inc.
Taiyo Yuden Co.
Teac Corporation
Teijin Chemicals Ltd.
Toei Video Co.
Toemi Media Solutions Limited
Toho Company, Limited.
tokyo laboratory ltd.
Toppan Printing Co.
Toptica Photonics AG
Toyo Recording Co.
Transmix Co.
Trendy Corporation
U-Tech Media Corp.
Ulead Systems, Inc.
Universal Pictures
Vap Inc.
Visionare Corporation
Warner Home Video Inc.

Diablo13
10-04-2008, 11:54 PM
As far as films are concerned Hd dvd is dead in the water as Toshiba are not going to make it anymore. They are only going to support existing systems. I think this is a real shame personally, though HD may still be useful for computer software and large file formats.
While it may look good graphically I don't think it is worth the extra expense over a normal dvd format? Most of the general public are quite happy with dvd quality, otherwise they wouldn't be happy buying pirated discs to save money.

dil
11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
yes it does'nt seem to be much hype about blue-ray as normal DVD's which are still going strong,
maybe when films in blue-ray format are widely available on torrent sites, that would also mean waiting a long time for the download to complete as files would be larger and depending on internet speed. whereas DVD's can be downloaded much quicker and by far widely available with more hardware & software support.

Diablo13
11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I completely agree dil. Even when there is a dvd of a film to download, I usually get the xvid if I can. It may be a bit more work but it's quicker to get down and saves on bandwidth. With the current capping going on it would take about a week to get a blu ray film. So you get a faster speed and go slower because you spend half your time capped, which makes it pointless.
Just think, you wait days to get a torrent down only to find it's bollixed, or worse still you pay 10 quid or whatever they are for a blu ray disk and get a bad burn :cry: money down the pan.
Not to mention the cost of a burner or player in the first place. Unless prices fall like drunks at a beerfest I will stick with dvd's which are now very cheap and the qualities good enough for me.

dil
16-04-2008, 11:55 AM
noticable change in the price of hd dvd & blue ray players compared to what it was last year, if hd dvd made there players cheap like it is now last year they would have been in the lead with popularity as it would have fitted with peoples budgets more comfortably.

HD DVD Players
Amazon.co.uk: hd dvd player - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Blue ray Players
Amazon.co.uk: blue ray player - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/026-8016365-2117212?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=blue+ray+player&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go)