PDA

View Full Version : vista campatible software, lets discuss

maikash2747
12-12-2006, 06:59 AM
hello

as we all know vista is due to be released next month and i was just wondering how many of us r running vista already and what kinda software has been successfully tested

i've just installed a RTM version of vista ultimate, dual setup along side xp

having a lot of problems installing some of the apps that i've always considered absolutely necessary , like firewall , antivirus and anti-spywarez

i managed to grab a mcafee all in one dvd, vista ready (can't confirm yet) but havent installed

so far i've only installed a few apps (successfully) :

nero 7 (enhanced)

ultraiso

kaspersky (not running smoothly)

utorrent

nzb-o-matic

office 2007

with release just around the corner i think its a bit of a let down that people r struggling to find working working software

will be testing some more tom n will report back

i'd be nice to get feedback from peeps who's been using vista

please discuss which software have u found compatible so far

cheers
Gary

y2krog2000
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
You probably wont need nero you can just drag things to disc and add them this is one thing that I was impressed with and for anti virus I used to use avast which worked great but on the last beta it didnt but NOD32 is supposed to work properly.

Shipoftheline
12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
If they make a DX10 compatible version of this

Mandriva Linux 2007 PowerPack Edition review - Software in Review (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. then Vista Resource Hogger can take a running jump for me

callisto11
13-12-2006, 05:25 PM
hello

with release just around the corner i think its a bit of a let down that people r struggling to find working working software

cheers
Gary

True, buts thats hardly M$ fault. Application vendors, especially M$ partners, should be ready with thier apps by RTM time.
BTW, you already get Firewall and Anti-Spyware built into Vista, and they are better versions than the ones in XP..

Look here -> Microsoft's new identity: secure OS vendor? | InfoWorld | Column | 2006-12-08 | By Roger A. Grimes (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. for a description of the many changes that have been introduced with Vista.

robsdesk
16-12-2006, 11:49 PM
AV seems to be the biggest problem, some of the big vendors are really struggling to get it sorted in time.

y2krog2000
17-12-2006, 09:05 AM
AV seems to be the biggest problem, some of the big vendors are really struggling to get it sorted in time.

I know avast works, this was the reason for me trying avast instead of avg and found it was better so I stuck with it.

maikash2747
17-12-2006, 03:01 PM
that McAfee i was on about...doesn't work :(

got nod32 to work though

@y2krog2000

i use nero a lot for converting my xvids to DVD, burning iso images and VOB files etc

@callisto11

very useful information, thanks mate

and yes i will agree with you that software giants should've been ready for vista by now.

I've read that symantec is all set to release their vista compatible apps next month, i guess we'll just have to wait for another month or so to find out, i guess once the new OS is out then we may see a lot of vista compatible software released, correct me if i'm wrong but i think when windows xp hit the market there weren't too many "xp ready" apps available instantly

lets wait and see

caoimhe
25-01-2007, 04:48 PM
AVG also works, and imho its the best anti-virus around

y2krog2000
25-01-2007, 05:49 PM
AVG also works, and imho its the best anti-virus around

Thats not what any of the anti-virus tests say, no not 1 of them. You cant say that avg is the best anti-virus until you have tried them all, it is one of the top 2 FREE anti-virus programs that I have tried but thats about it.

Neeiro
12-02-2007, 05:29 AM
I installed the RTM version and had alot of problems with divx create software - theres a codec pack out for it now that seems a better option.

y2krog2000
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
@y2krog2000
i use nero a lot for converting my xvids to DVD, burning iso images and VOB files etc

So did I m8 there is a free program for vista that converts to dvd and burns iso images, I cant remember what its called now as I havent done it for a while but I think it was someone on here who recomended it to me. Have heard that vista home premium and ultimate have built in software to encode dvds but havent tried this.

Collider
12-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Stuff for vista on CNET Search results for vista software - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. And its free ;)

snake
22-02-2007, 12:19 AM
nod 32 works ok
latest nero 7.5.7.0 works ok

in fact after scanning my hd ready to try vista the only
"problem" appears to be incredimail & drivers for creative webcam

cob_ob
22-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Are you guys not worried about the DRM they have infested Vista with?