PDA

View Full Version : Replay box died, help please.

Diablo13
05-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi everybody. Does anyone have a replay box which has actually died, or know of 1 that has? Mine is about 5 months old now but it has given me some problems from the start with locking up when I set the programm timer. I usually just need to switch the power off and it reboots and its sorted. The other day it locked onto a channel but gave out no signal to the tv. It did'nt help to switch it on and off, it stayed locked to the same channel. It lights up so its getting power but it does'nt respond at all to either the remote or the direct access buttons on it. It has been reflashed to no avail so it must be a hardware problem.
Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to fix it, or know of anywhere I might get it fixed? :pray:
Thanks in advance.

jayjayuk
08-12-2006, 12:24 PM
you could try a repair shop for tvs n video's as they are basically the same as most recivers. as long as they can get the bits or find the problem then they can tell you if they can fix it, if they say they cant make sure you get it back!

Diablo13
08-12-2006, 07:27 PM
you could try a repair shop for tvs n video's as they are basically the same as most recivers. as long as they can get the bits or find the problem then they can tell you if they can fix it, if they say they cant make sure you get it back!
Hi m8, thanks for your suggestion, but I already tried that. I was thinking the same as you that basically they are like any other pvr. He tells me its probably something to do with the eprom chip and that most of these type of things are a return to manufacturer repair. He may have just not wanted to touch it as I got the impression he had never seen 1 before but thought they were a bit "iffy". Trouble is I dont know the manufacturers to contact them. Its probably not a good idea to just take it into Comet or Currys for repair either, given what they do.

Satch
15-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi everybody. Does anyone have a replay box which has actually died, or know of 1 that has? Mine is about 5 months old now but it has given me some problems from the start with locking up when I set the programm timer. I usually just need to switch the power off and it reboots and its sorted. The other day it locked onto a channel but gave out no signal to the tv. It did'nt help to switch it on and off, it stayed locked to the same channel. It lights up so its getting power but it does'nt respond at all to either the remote or the direct access buttons on it. It has been reflashed to no avail so it must be a hardware problem.
Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to fix it, or know of anywhere I might get it fixed? :pray:
Thanks in advance.

HiYa,

Do you think the flash as become corrupt and it's not taking the new flash?
Read this the other day, See what you think M8?

1.If u know someone who has a WORKING replaybox and willing to lend it to u borrow it. this is what u do, switch on the working box and let it load up until u get the channels then connect a NULL MODEM CABLE to the working box and bad flashed box. now switch the bad flashed replaybox and it should automatically start flashing the bad box.

2.Download a 100% working copy of the flash file and uploaded(our downloads section is fine!) extract the files now plug the box in via Null modem cable dont switch it on just yet. follow the normal procedure for loading the firmware it will say cant connect to box that is normal, it will then ask if you wish to flash the bootloader click yes! now some people at this point had to switch the box on and then off for the flash to start. some people didnt have to do that. its a case of tinkering try both methods and dont give up so easily.

Not My Work Credit goes to elite786

Diablo13
15-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I appreciate your research Satch, i'm going to try this. I dont think its a bad flash to be honest as its been flashed a couple of times by a m8 who knows what he's doing but got to be worth a try. Thanks also to elite 786 for his work. I will enhance your rep for for your help.
Bugger it wont let me enhance your rep. It would appear that you have been too helpful to me in the past so it wont let me show my appreciation again. That seems a bit unfair and should be changed as the most helpful people can't get the credit they deserve.
Mods please take note.

I have added a rep for you m8 hope it helps DD

pahubb
29-12-2006, 11:51 PM
sames happened to mine its done it about 3 times now.
just keep trying and hopefully it might work.
p.s im still puzzeled at what made it work befor

pahubb
30-12-2006, 12:03 AM
i think i rember now i think i re flashed it with the hard disk unpluged the pluged it back in and flashed again.
Has yours got a hard drive in it.

Diablo13
30-12-2006, 01:02 AM
@ pahubb, yes it has and it worked quite well except it sometimes locked up when I set the timer then pressed menu to back out and save it.
I did'nt use this box or try to do anything with it for about 2 weeks. I then disconnected the hardrive and tried it again. It worked :confused: though it still occasionally locks up. I have not reconnected the hdrive yet, but I think it would work again for a while. There is no figuering these boxes out. In theory they are great, in practice they are ****e because of unreliability. I would never give 1 house room again. I would rather get a dbox and try to get a hdrive mod for it. If you look carefully on ebay for a dbox you could get 1 and mod it for the price of a Replay. At least there is support for a dbox, there's nothing you can do with a Replay but hope for the best. Very disapointed with mine. :cussing:

pahubb
30-12-2006, 09:27 PM
you can get a dream box 500-c for ?150 and put a hard drive in it and i bet it whould be better

if i was you now you get it working i whould conect the hard drive back up agian and it should work am sure thats what i did ( trying it again now) will confirm is this works.

Diablo13
31-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I have never actually seen a dreambox or know anything about them. At a price of ?150 plus your hardrive it seems a bit expensive to me. You can get a Dbox which is well supported, especially on here and add a hardrive to that.
By the way has anyone actually fitted a hardrive to a Dbox and does it work well?

pahubb
01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
right just found out what i did.
I think the problem is something to do with the harddrive as you have to take the harddrive out and conect it to a Pc then run the seagate disc wizard in dos to format the drive. the connect back up with the box and flash and it worked.
(it took a while for the dam thing to boot so it hasent fixed that but it as made it work again.)
And i dont think the dreambox it that expensive as i payed about the same for my replay new and the dreambox is a lot better box as it a linux on it and a lot better hardwhere as it can be networked.(seems more like a Pc setup). and i is desgined to take a hard drive unlike this Dbox your on about(unless i stand corcted as i havent looked it to them.) And it has a very good suport not long a go i googled replay box to try to find the new update but all the fourms i had used had got rid the there cable box sections. I have seen sites that are specially for dreamboxes.
By the way in may or when ever it is realsed i will be buying the new dreambox 8000 as it suports HD and works more like a media center as you can add up to 4 tuners and a wifi card for streaming video. plus suport the SATA disks and more.

Hope you sort your box out.

Diablo13
01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
I may try reflashing the Replay with the hardrive disconnected then. I have previously flashed it only with the hdd connected.
The Dreambox is not an option for me as it is a satelite receiver not a cable receiver. I have looked at the prices and the newer ones are in the region of ?369 which is way too expensive. I still think the best option would be a Dbox with a hardrive adaptor but would like to hear from someone who has experience of this setup. Its a pitty the Eurovox does'nt just record to a standalone pvr, that also seems like a good (cheap) alternative. Or am I wrong about that?

pahubb
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
the dreambox has difrent versions identifyed after the modle n.o a S is for satalite C for cable and T for terestreial.
And your right about the 500 is was on about it dosent suport a hard disk.(god knows why i thought it did.)
But I think you can record programs over the network to a harddrive in a PC or attached to a router. So it still caould be another option.
look at this post.

No links to other forums please read the rules

jayyou
26-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Did you ever get it to work mate ??
I've had a Replay Box for almost a year with a 160gb HD. I had loads of problems with it after about a month or two ... the machine just seem to have died. It lit up alright but the TV screen was just blank with no channels or anything. I eventually fixed it (with some help from the guys here on the Forum) but no-one had exactly the same symptoms as me. It has happened a copule of times since, but only when the HD seems to be about half full, say 50 hours space remaining.
I believe my problem is either a dodgy HD or, it somehow it gets corrupted !?
It doesn't even matter if I disconnected the HD, it still appeared to lock up.
To overcome this, I took the HD out of the Replay Box and put it into a space PC, re-formatted it by pretending to re-install MS Windows on it, then took it out of the PC, stuck it back in the Replay Box, re-scan ... and Hey-Presto, it works everytime !! It's just a sod to do and takes about 3 hours or so to do and you've lost all your shows off the Hard Drive ... But, at least I get mine to work again !!

jayyou
26-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry, I've haven't been on the Forum for a while cos my Replay Box is working like a dream ( ... well, sort of !!?? )
Did you ever get your to work mate ??
I've had a Replay Box for almost a year fitted with a 160gb HD. I had loads of problems with it after about a month or two ... the machine just seem to have died. It lit up alright but the TV screen was just blank with no channels or anything. I eventually fixed it (with some help from the guys here on the Forum) but no-one had exactly the same symptoms as me. It has happened a copule of times since, but only when the HD seems to be about half full, say 50 hours space remaining ... was this the same with yours ?
I believe my problem is either a dodgy HD or, it somehow it gets corrupted !?
It doesn't even matter if I disconnected the HD, it still appeared to lock up.
To overcome this, I took the HD out of the Replay Box and put it into a spare PC, re-formatted it by pretending to re-install MS Windows on it, then took it out of the PC, stuck it back in the Replay Box, re-scanned ... and Hey-Presto, it works everytime !! It's just a sod to do and takes about 3 hours or so to do taking it out of one machine, sticking it another etc, etc and worst of all you've lost all your shows off the Hard Drive ... But, at least I got mine to work again !!
Let me know if you ever got yours to work ... I may hay some other ideas for you !?
Cheers now !
Jim

pahubb
27-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Reformatted it Re-flashed and it worked the first time turning on (was very slow) then it strated booting up thinking there was no HD in it so got pissed off with it one night when i whanted to watch my program and it whouldent turn and hit it hard on the top twice. :( not the best thing to as it has fuked the HD up and it had just ran out of warrenty on the 12th :( . but still using without the HD and it not too bad at the mo. I havent even reflashed it without the HD not in. It still can take up to 20 mins form it to come on ( the led light stayes red).
So i suspect the same as you it sames to be a faulty HD as i boubt it is the cable comp as other people whould have had the same prob. I have just given up with it.

Diablo13
28-01-2007, 03:14 AM
@ jayyou my Hardrive was a 200gb and not even a quarter full. It has been reflashed several times, but it always goes back to the same problem. I have left the hd disconnected and it works most of the time fine so long as I dont try to delete any of the programmes like the shopping and Asian and gay channels that I dont want. As soon as I do, then use the menu button to save the changes it locks up and has to be powered off. If just try to go through a lot of channels to some of the higher number channels it sometimes locks up. I bought it for its recording facility but its so hit and miss I gave up. I get all of the channels but have not tried recording again as it works ok most of the time without it. I may try to reformat the hdd in a pc as you suggested , but to be honest I cant be bothered anymore. I would rather swap it for a dbox 2 or a Starview box because I cant afford to replace it at the moment. It was the most dissapointing buy I ever made.
I doubt it is the hdd at fault as I have tried others in it, rather I think it is the eprom chip or something which holds the internal memory on it? I would be glad of any further ideas you might have though.