PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Apple ???

beerdame
05-12-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm not a newbie to computers, but I'd like some info on Apple computers. I know they run their own non-windows operating system, does anybody here use an Apple ?
I currently have a desktop but need to switch to a laptop or notebook and the Apple powerbook looks the business.
Any advice out there for me? I'm a demanding user and need plenty of memory, disk space, and all the latest peripherals.

TIA.

Jango
05-12-2006, 04:53 PM
The one thing that you never hear about an apple is - they never get hit by a virus - the knob jockey's that write them only bover with MS.

Shipoftheline
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM
The one thing that you never hear about an apple is - they never get hit by a virus - the knob jockey's that write them only bover with MS.

They only bother with things that are widely used. You'll notice they have started paying Firefox more attention now for instance ;)

y2krog2000
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Seen a tv program that put a top of the range apple against a similar xp machine and the apple didnt do to well, the tests were encoding films and putting music onto an ipod and loads of different ones that I cant remember and the apple was 2nd in all of the tests even though the apple was supposed to do some things quicker and was dearer, I think the apples look better though :eek:

beerdame
06-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the replies, i kinda had the impression that Apple was better and quicker at graphics-heavy chores, but I'm obviously wring if the test are anything to go by....

thanks again.

ste03
10-12-2006, 02:41 AM
apples are very very different from ms, they take a long time 2 get used 2 but are good once u have mastered it

Staypuff
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
It is now possible to run windows on the newer apple models but i dont know how well it performs, but if your into computers and are looking for good compatability your better off with a windows machine imo.

Hackmo
18-12-2006, 11:46 AM
What are your reasons for wanting to switch to Apple? If it's just because you are looking for something different or want to get away from microsoft then there are a lot of other alternatives out there that aren't apple. Linux being the most popular of those alternatives and probably one of the easiest to get used to/use(never thought I would say that, heh)

Try reading this guide and see what you think :)

Switching to Linux from Windows - LQWiki (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Switching_to_Linux_from_Windows)

beerdame
05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I had tried Linux many years ago - RedHat. But I couldn't get an internet connection and had problems with a couple other things aswell so went back to windows. Do you use Linux yerself, is it improved much over the last few years ?

jake
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm a OSX and windows xp user i love both of the operating systems for different reasons. once you get used to osx and by that i mean all the windows shortcuts like copy past etc and closing windows not from window it self from menu etc. you will love it.

Apple has switched to intel processor and has its own application called bootcamp which enables you to install windows on mac and choose upon booting which one to use. and also there are other applications like paralel which enables you to use windows applications in OSX witout needing windows it self.

as for the apple laptops not sure about macbook pros but macbooks dont have graphics card init they use intels onboard graphic chip. if you are looking to do graphic heavy things dont think it will be suitable for you. if you dont require graphic power but need osx goodness i'd say go for it. plus you can see and customize it on apples website as you wish. hope i did answered someof your questions if you have more just shoot i'll try to help as much as i can :)

stooby
17-01-2007, 12:24 AM
i support both kinds of system at work and if i was given the choice then........
if you are into gaming buy a good pc, however if you prefer to do video/ photo editing you are better of going for an Apple system.....