Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Install Plex Media Server on Raspberry Pi 2

Hidden Content

The awesome Plex Media Server can now finally be installed on the Raspberry Pi 2 without a chroot. The chroot method broke when using upstart scripts and had metadata issues, those are no longer a problem! Using a Synology package compiled for an ARMv7 processor we can use it on the Pi 2 with a bit of extra work. This will unfortunately not work on the B+ or earlier models as they use an ARMv6 processor. Many thanks to uglymagoo from the Plex forum who identified the package that could be used without a chroot on the Raspberry Pi 2. I used a minimal Raspbian distribution Minibian for this guide, when you are done Plex will also autostart on boot.

Plex for ARM CPU architectures is compiled with very limited transcoding abilities. Do not expect transcoding to work, you will get the best experience by using DirectPlay or DirectStream features of Plex streaming locally. H264 content should play remotely as long your internet connection can support it and client can play back the media’s codecs. If your content has subtitles it will not work for transcoding.

The Banana Pi can run Plex Media Server as well and sports a SATA and gigabit port for extra speed

Links

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

This to me is great news, many people might have a now tv box installed with plex but running a computer or laptop with plex media server. Now no need to have the laptop switched on, just the pi! The downsode is that it will not transcode, meaning if your playing device can't play the format the video is in it won't convert it to something it can. Most things can play mp4/mk4/avi so transcoding shouldn't be too much of a problem

I unfortunate dont have a Pi2 or similar just a B+ so cant try this

If your thinking of buying a PI look at this link before buying Hidden Content
    Last edited by alanjg007; 28-12-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: tidy up a bit
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

2. Thanks berley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Good post alan but il stick with openelec on my R/pi. I did try plex out on my nowtv box but went to kodi much better in my view

sent from 2 tin cans and some string
    secrets of the dbox >>>Hidden Content

if you find the posts are helpfull....click the thanks button....it dont cost anything

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Yeah I can see your view.

This is more for people who use a laptop to store movies. I remember gazer was asking if his NAS could use Plex server and it couldn't, this would be an altrnative as the Pi is less power hungry than a laptop and could be powered all the time.

There is a verison that has plex and codi all built into together, I will be buying a banana Pi soon so will report back once i've tried it all.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

5. Likes Magnu420 liked this post