Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Freedom of information act is under acttack!

The government has a plan that’ll make it harder for us to find out what they’re really up to. They want to introduce fees - of up to ?600! - for people who use Freedom of Information laws to find out the truth about what they’re doing. [1] But we’ve got 24 hours to have our say and knock these plans out of the water.

The government has been forced to hold a public consultation on their cover-up plan. They’re trying to keep this under the radar, and aren’t expecting many responses. [2] So if thousands of us feed in, we could overwhelm their consultation and topple these plans to make government information harder to get hold of.

Please could you take a few minutes to send a message to the consultation? It closes this Friday, so there’s just 24 hours left. There’s some suggested text to make it as simple as possible. Every single message we send will make it harder for the government to get away with this cover up.
    Yes - I'll tell the government what I think

The Freedom of Information law means that journalists, academics and campaigners can find out what the government is really up to. The list of scandals it has helped laid bare is endless: it exposed the MP expenses scandal, helped uncover details of historic child abuse allegations and revealed the huge number of NHS contracts being handed out to profit-hungry companies. [3]

The government already have a bad track record on Freedom of Information. The panel they appointed to review the law is stacked with people who’ve already admitted they hate it. [4] Introducing steep fees for appeals on FOI requests is just another attempt to limit the public’s right to know what politicians are up to.

38 Degrees is a movement of people fighting to make our democracy work better. We hold our politicians to account, and make sure that politicians hear the voices of ordinary people. But we can't do that if we're shut out. Unless we stop this dodgy cover up, it’s going to be even harder to know what politicians are getting up to in our name.

If thousands of us stand up against these plans, we can make them think twice. Please click here to send your message now:

Hidden Content
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Done I thought they'd have more sigs than this tho

of 200,000 signatures
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

3. Thanks billy2, alanjg007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    That's me and the Mrs signed mate.

5. Thanks alanjg007 thanked for this post