Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Wifi dropping out

Hi,I have a virgin super hub with 156 meg broadband.I use my wifi network to stream from my PC via the super hub to my blu ray player using it's home link and onto my TV downstairs.For I would say the last 2 - 3 months my wifi drops the signal albeit for a few seconds then causing my blu-Ray to default to the network error.If you check the wifi signal it's fine.Blu Ray just seams to lose signal for a few seconds but long enough for player to default.I have spoken to virgin engineers on numerous occasions but they say there is nothing wrong with my super hub or my wifi.It has worked flawlessly for years,this problem has only been in last few months.Anybody got any idea what could be causing this.

Post Thanks
    Chats
    so time you Channel mite be the same as some one in your area

WiFi channel wise. All is not as it seems. Firstly use channel 1 6 or 11. This is because channel 2,3,4 and 5 will overlap with channel 1 and channel 6 (so you will get double the interference from other devices on auto which will choose 1 6 or 11).

Channel 7,8,9 and 11 overlap with 6 and 11. So again that's often worse than using just 6 or 11.

So yep... Use 1, 6 or 11.

WiFi channel wise. Using the same channel as another router isn't that bad as both routers are digital and will work as well as possible together.

Then there are a tonne of WiFi devices which INSSider doesn't pick up. We're talking wireless doorbells, cordless audio video receivers, baby monitors, keyboard and mouse that are wireless, bluetooth speakers, bluetooth headsets, wireless security systems and cameras etc etc. These are much more likely to cause issues with your WiFi than another router.

So even though channel 1 looks free it could be crammed with bluetooth devices in your home, next doors doorbell, baby monitor etc. This would be worse than using channel 11 which may have only 1 router on it.
    Last edited by ilovenzb; 21-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.

3. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Maybe try setting the hub to use 802. b/g or check that it is. Downside is that you won't get the benefits of faster transfer speeds.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

5. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post