Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

It is illegal to rip music off a CD or put DVDs onto hard drives, UK High Court says

People in the UK are now breaking the law whenever they rip a CD or DVD, the High Court has ruled.

The ruling had previously been in place, and was then overturned so that CD could be ?format shifted? without paying over again. But the High Court has ruled that reversal unlawful, meaning that copyright holders for music and films could be in for huge compensation payouts for the illegal ripping.

The record industry claims that such ripping takes as much as ?58 million from musicians, which they should receive back in compensation. But in practice, it?s difficult to see how the ruling will actually be enforced, and the ruling is likely to be largely symbolic.

The ruling doesn?t just stop people from taking music or films off discs so that they can be watched on portably entertainment gadgets like iPods or iPads. It also means that anyone taking music for future study ? like teachers using videos in a class, or researchers looking at films ? would be liable to pay out.

The Government had previously let such situations continue by introducing exemptions to let people rip media for personal use. But representatives of the music industry ? including Basca, the Musicians' Union, and UK Music ?challenged those exemptions and had them rejected by the High Court.

When it was previously illegal to rip music, prosecutions and claims were very rare, and the industry usually ignored those simply ripping music for their own personal and private use.
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

2. Thanks berley, notanotherone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    it looks as if all mp3 rippers will be illegal in the uk. Will Microsoft stop meida player from ripping cd's in the uk? Will the music companies start to inforce this?

How will they stop people? Drm never worked! It just caused issues for people using it for legitimate reasons.

Sillyness, people have been creating mix complations since the invention of the cassette tape!

One thing thou. I just thought to myself, when was the last cd i bought? Most of my legit music is mp3 bought digitally. So i dunno what they think they have won! Infact, winning this now is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted! Another sign that these music companies are waaaaaay behind the times!
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

4. Likes Gazer, notanotherone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I just bought C4 Picasso and it doesn't have a CD player in it.It only has a USB connection for use with a flash drive.Think I will cancel it.Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Useless Ruling!

Just seen this item.
    I agree with alanjg007, compilations were being made in the seventies and they tried to prevent it by proposing a levy on blank cassette tapes. That worked well, didn't it !!! Hidden Content