Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

New Sky Now TV box won't deliver Full HD streams

Sky is releasing a new version of its Now TV box, as the company offers viewers the chance to buy a monthly pass to its Sky Sports channels for the first time. The new Now TV box is the second generation of the hardware, but despite reports to the contrary, it won't offer Full HD playback of Sky content.

The current Now TV hardware is limited to 720p output. Although the new hardware is capable of Full HD, the Now TV streams are limited to 720p, and a company spokesman told Expert Reviews that the company had no plans to enhance the quality of the streams at this time.

The new Now TV will add an Ethernet port to the compact unit, meaning users no longer have to rely on a wireless connection. Sky says the new device has a processor that's five time as fast as the one in its predecessor, which may help alleviate some of the sluggishness when browsing the Now TV menus.

The Sky Now TV is rebranded Roku hardware. Indeed, the new box is likely to be a rebadged Roku 2, which retails for around ?70. The Sky Now TV version will cost only ?15 when it goes on sale in August, although it likely won't include some of the channels - such as Sky rival Netflix - that are available through Roku's own hardware.

Aside from the new hardware, Sky is also introducing a new monthly Sports Pass to accompany the the daily (?6.99) and weekly (?10.99) passes that are currently available. The Sky Sports Month Pass will cost ?31.99 and offers access to all of the company's sports channels, including Sky Sports F1. Unlike the satellite channels, the Sky Now passes come with no long-term commitment - they can be purchased as a one-off.

Sky insists its Now TV service isn't cannibalising its satellite TV subscriptions. Speaking at the Future of Broadcasting Conference, Sky's chief marketing and digital officer, Stephen van Rooyen, said over 90% of Sky Now customers had never previously considered subscribing to its satellite television service.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

2. Thanks berley, notanotherone, thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I just bought one of these and it should be here soon. Anyone else got the new version and got plex on it?
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru