Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Lexus has made a hoverboard.

Lexus has made a hoverboard prototype, and it looks unnervingly similar to the sort of design we daydream about.

Spotted by Lexus Enthusiast, is it too good to be true? We?ve checked the date, it?s not April 1, and this is part of an ongoing series called Amazing in Motion, where Lexus tries to recreate the sort of things you might normally only see through CGI.

If we give Lexus the benefit of the doubt, the next part is looking at how it works. The Lexus hoverboard uses liquid nitrogen-cooled superconductors and permanent magnets, although how the physics of this works when you step on and off the thing is a little beyond our science chops. Annoyingly, Lexus?s teaser video cuts off just as the rider gets on the hoverboard, but the company does claim it has made a ?real, rideable hoverboard.?

Lexus says this board has been worked on for over 18 months, by people including chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi.

Why are we so cautious? Looking at the demo there?s no obvious way for it to work. The video shows the hoverboard levitating above what appears to be a concrete surface, not known for its magnetic properties. But we?re begging to be proven wrong.

Hidden Content
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

2. Likes notanotherone liked this post
    Respected
    Post Thanks
    Chats