thats a worry if you own one?

A warning to UK users
Today, 04:49 PM
I have recently ordered a Zgemma Star H2 direct from the manufacturer and have discovered that the 13A plug and fuse are both counterfeit and very dangerous. The fuse does not contain silica and could explode if it was ever to blow. In this case however, the fuse carrier is not even connected inside the 13A plug so the fuse will never blow - even if you remove the fuse completely, the unit will still be live. In addition the earth pin (which admittedly isn't used as it is a double insulated power supply) is partially insulated. Genuine BS1363 plugs should never have a partially insulated pin, only the shorter two pins should be partially insulated. The pins are also incorrectly sized.

In the UK, socket outlets are usually on a 32A ring final circuit (ring main) and in the event of a fault within the Zgemma power supply, the 0.75mm conductors within this cable will catch fire long before the circuit disconnects at the DB (fuse board).

I would urge all zgemma owners to check, and if need be replace, the 13A plug to C7 (figure of 8) mains cable on their box for a genuine and safe replacement cable to avoid the risk of fire and/or loss of life.

I am happy to assist anyone who needs assistance in checking their cable or sourcing a suitable replacement.

I can confirm I have made the manufacturer (Shenzhen Air Digital Technology Co., Ltd) and am currently awaiting further updates. I will update this thread accordingly when I receive further communication from them.

Martin.