Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Freeview Play EPG revealed, boxes to cost ?229

TV fans thinking of upgrading to Freeview?s next generation set top boxes will need to dig deep according to Ilse Howling, the executive overseeing the service?s development.

Dubbed Freeview Play, the internet-connected STBs will offer access to BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 via a scroll-back TV guide similar to those already available on Freesat and YouView.

Appearing at the DTG Summit on Tuesday, Howling unveiled images of the service?s EPG and revealed that initial boxes made by electronics Humax will cost around ?229.

Although prices are certain to fall over time, this means Freeview Play will initially be more expensive than Freesat and YouView while offering less catch-up and on-demand content.

As well as Humax, Freeview has already announced that TV giant Panasonic will include Freeview Play in its new range of 2015 models, plus a tie-up with Vestral, one of the biggest makers of STBs.
    Last week set top box makers criticised plans to charge them for including the service in their products but Howling told attendees at today?s event that the fees were less than those charged by rivals and far cheaper for manufacturers than developing their own platforms.

The service, which Howling said was being built ?fast?, is expected to hit shops this summer.

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

2. Thanks berley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Seems a bad move to me, there's already better and cheaper options, or am I missing something?

Post Thanks
    Chats
    No I don't think your missing anything and tbh I cant see that these boxes will sell very fast..... even if they were half the price !
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Definitely worth looking around for cheaper alternatives, I've had a few Humax's in the past and while they are expensive, the build quality and reliability do not always come up to scratch.