Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Mortal Kombat X review

The one-on-one fighter genre has undergone a complete resurrection in the past few years, with Capcom's Street Fighter leading the way. Mortal Kombat - Street Fighter's old rival from the early '90s - has enjoyed a similar degree of success, but its 2011 reboot didn't achieve quite the same level of fame and critical acclaim. Mortal Kombat X is an effort to go one better, and while it's not a perfect brawler by any means, it reminds us exactly why the franchise needs to exist.

Mortal Kombat rose to fame over 20 years ago thanks to its gore and violence, and this sequel - the first to arrive on next-gen formats - continues that proud tradition. Blood flies in every direction during bouts, and the iconic fatalities have never looked so stomach-churningly visceral. Mortal Kombat X benefits hugely from the power of the Xbox One (which we tested this game on) and the PlayStation 4, showcasing detailed fighters and varied environments.

The game ignores the usual stop-start format of traditional fighting games in favour of a tighter, flowing narrative - albeit one which revolves around a plot so absurd it makes Street Fighter's story look like Shakespeare. It's silly but fun - the developers clearly didn't take the whole process too seriously - and there's plenty of humour to be found as well.

Mortal Kombat X

There's also an abundance of game modes to sample, and this keeps Mortal Kombat X feeling fresh and engaging - even if you don't have people in your house you can play against regularly. Online battles are supported but the net code feels a little creaky at present; this could be down to the large volume of players attempting to access it all at once, and may well settle down in the coming weeks. It's the biggest blot on Mortal Kombat X's copybook, and one we hope the developers can fix.

Another rather disappointing element is the way in which certain fighters are placed behind DLC paywalls. When you've shelled out around ?40 for a game, you don't expect to have to pay more to get all the content on day one; DLC released months down the line is a different matter, but this leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

For casual fighting fans, Mortal Kombat X offers the perfect way to let off some aggression on your next-gen system. It arguably lacks the finely nuanced play of Capcom's fighters and bouts don't possess the same glorious flow as they do in Street Fighter or SNK's King of Fighters, but this remains a hugely entertaining brawler which proves that the famous brand is alive and well.

Hidden Content
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats
    My son had this and he said it was rubbish

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)