Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

The Ubuntu phone is finally here

Hidden Content

There's a new mobile operating system in town, and its name is Ubuntu. Except it's not all that new. Canonical ? the company behind it ? tried to launch it 18 months ago, but failed to raise enough money. But now it's here and it could change how we use our phones forever.

Ubuntu is an open source operating system that takes a different approach to apps. Instead of putting them willy-nilly on your device, it groups them by category on a series of home pages that you swipe between. It calls these Scopes.

So the Photos Scope houses all your locally-stored images and pics from Facebook and Instagram, while the Nearby Scope will ping you info based on your location, like weather, transport, restaurants etc.

It's an interesting approach, and could prove tempting to newcomers who aren't au fait with which apps do what.

The first phone to run Ubuntu is the Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition. If that sounds familiar, it's because that same handset was previously available running Android. It's a mid-range effort, with a 4.5-inch screen and 8-megapixel rear camera. And it costs just ?169.90 (?127).

According to Canonical, the first 'flash sale' will be announced via its Twitter account, Google Plus and Facebook pages. It should happen sometime this week, so stay tuned.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content Amazon fire phone springs to mind

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)