Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Freeview Play has YouView in its sights

Next-gen Freeview is on the way! The platform was previously known as Freeview Connect, but now has an official name ? Freeview Play ? logo and some all-important new deets.

Freeview Play is a connected TV platform that bears a striking resemblance to YouView: it will let you search across all channels, apps and catch-up services, and seamlessly blend on-demand and catch-up content with live TV.

You'll also be able to take a trip back in time using the EPG and watch anything you've missed. Which will be very handy if a channel doesn't have a catch-up service.

So why so similar to YouView? It's backed by the same shareholders ? Arqiva, BBC, Channel 4, ITV and Sky ? as YouView who grew disgruntled with how the Alan Sugar-endorsed service panned out. YouView was meant to be affordable, but the set-top boxes remained pricey thanks ? the shareholders say ? to the involvement of BT and TalkTalk.

As a result, most YouView boxes were sold bundled with broadband packages. Which went against the ethos of it being subscription-free.

The shareholders are still involved in YouView, but have scaled back their investment. Freeview Play hopes to make good on the original YouView promise.

"Freeview has been built on a vision to make television available to all free from subscription," said Guy North, Freeview's managing director. "In the same way that we took the UK from analogue to digital, Freeview Play is the next step in that vision and it will put the viewer in control, without complexity, commitment or unnecessary cost ? we want to keep television fair and open for everyone. That means giving consumers the freedom to choose the TV they want, the way they want it."

Freeview Play will launch later this year.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

2. Likes thelostone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I have youview it will be interesting to see how things evolve

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)