Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks
    Chats

'Two Weeks' To Prepare For Cyber Attack

The National Crime Agency is warning computer users they have two weeks to protect against a "powerful computer attack".

It comes as US officials held a press conference accusing a Russian hacker of masterminding the scam and raking in ?60m.

Two pieces of malware software known as GOZeuS and CryptoLocker are at the centre of the alert.

People are being warned to make sure their security software and operating system are both up to date, and to run scans to check for any problems.

Important files should also be backed up, said the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA).

The malware typically infects a computer via attachments or links in emails.

US Accuses Russian Hacker Evgeniy Bogachev Of $100m Fraud
    Hidden Content
    Bogachev is said to use the online monikers "lucky12345" and "slavik"

If a user clicks on one of them, the malware silently monitors activity and tries to capture any private information, such as banking details.

"(The links or attachments) may look like they have been sent by genuine contacts and may purport to carry invoices, voicemail messages, or any file made to look innocuous," the NCA warned.

"These emails are generated by other victims' computers, who do not realise they are infected, and are used to send mass emails creating more victims."

The agency said GOZeuS (also known as P2PZeuS) was responsible for hundreds of millions of pounds of fraud globally.

Sky's Technology Correspondent Tom Cheshire said: "We should all be concerned. It goes specifically after financial information, and if that is over a certain threshold it starts stealing it very silently without you necessarily noticing."

The second threat comes from the Cryptolocker malware, activated if the first attack is not profitable enough.

It locks a user out of their files, for example photos or music, and threatens to delete them unless a "ransom" of several hundred pounds is paid.

More than 15,500 computers in the UK are infected and "many more" are at risk, according to the NCA.

Hidden Content
    Computers running Windows software are said to be most vulnerable

Stewart Garrick, a senior investigator with the NCA, told Sky News the threat was mainly against individuals or businesses running Windows-based computers.

"It's utterly indiscriminate - it doesn't care what machine it falls on.

"It's there purely for the criminals to harvest your money direct from your bank account, or by demanding a ransom to get your files back."

FBI action in the US had weakened the network of affected computers, said the NCA, "meaning that action taken now to strengthen online safety can be particularly effective".

Thirty-year-old Russian Evgeniy Bogachev is the alleged leader of the gang behind the attacks, FBI executive assistant director Robert Anderson told a news conference in Washington DC.

"They (the FBI) have disrupted the network and taken control of it," said Sky's Tom Cheshire.

"So when the hackers try to speak to the computer that's affected, that line of communication has been cut off.

"You now have a chance to clean up. The first thing you should do is update your operating system - especially if you're on Windows, then look to scan your computer for viruses and it should be able to find it."

For more information visit Hidden Content .

Hidden Content

2. Likes alanjg007 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    haha you couldn't even got on the site last night and this morning. so what do you need to do then keep your anti virus up to date to stuff

4. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I think this is being hyped up to worry people ....how can they say it will be with you in the next 2 weeks ? as on the TV last night
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

6. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    I would guess you keep your anti virus and any malware(malwarebytes etc)up to date.Also be careful opening emails with attachments.If you not sure,bin it.Better safe than sorry and back up photos etc.
    Last edited by billy149uk; 03-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats
    They said american's have managed to halt it's progress but they said it might only last 2 weeks before malware strikes back.Not sure myself but as I say better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by billy149uk; 03-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    so what are we all running to make sure gameover zeus isnt on our computers and what actions are we taking >
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

10. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by notanotherone Hidden Content
    and what actions are we taking >
    none apart from not clicking dodgy email links and keep anti virus updated, which everyone should have set to update daily anyhow
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t

12. Thanks billy149uk thanked for this post
    Likes billy149uk, notanotherone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    To check if your pc has it, download and install and run the one for your system IE: 32bit or 64bit

This tool is designed to remove the infection of the Gameover variant of Trojan.Zbot which drops and installs the Necurs rootkit as a kernel driver to protect the malware files on disk and in memory

Follow these steps to download and run the tool:
    Download FixNecurs64bit.exe for 64-bit computers and FixNecurs32bit.exe for 32-bit computers.
    Do this
    download and extract the file to your desktop.
    Close all the running programs.
    If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. For instructions on how to turn off System Restore.
    Double-click the FixNecurs64bit.exe or the FixNecurs32bit.exe file to start the removal tool.
    Click I Accept to accept the EULA, then click Start to begin the process and allow the tool to run.

After it reboots it will ask to run Norton Power Eraser say yes

The removal tool writes a summary of its operation to a logfile named FixTool.log with results similar to the following:

List of detected processes
    List of detected files
    List of terminated processes
    List of removed files
    List of removed registry keys
    List of removed registry values
    List of removed registry values on reboot

If the system is clean, no restart is required and the logfile on your desktop will be blank

Source
    Hidden Content

EnjoyHidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!