Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Sony steps into a virtual world

Virtual reality headset will bring an Oculus Rift-like experience to the Playstation 4.

Hidden Content

Sony unveiled it?s much anticipated Project Morpheus virtual reality headset at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco Tuesday, showing off a prototype to attendees at the show.

The virtual reality gaming market, which the still in development Oculus Rift once had a monopoly in, is becoming crowded with Valve also working on a headset in addition to Sony. Sony?s Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida believes that Sony?s VR headset will be genre-defining, much like the addition of a Blu Ray drive in the PS3.

?Virtual reality is the next innovation from PlayStation that will [shape] the future of games,? he said at Sony?s keynote. ?The industry has grown by creating technological advancements for video game players.?

?We believe Morpheus will further enhance the world of PlayStation 4, with seamless integration with PlayStation Camera and PlayStation Move,? Yoshida said on stage. ?We will continue to improve on this prototype by gathering feedback from developers. That?s why we unveiled it at GDC.?

Here are some of the technical details of the headset:

1080p display with 90-degree field of view

15mm eye relief

1000hz display

Full 360-degree movement

The Morpheus will be used in conjunction with the upcoming Playstation Move motion sensitive controller. This will allow players to move their hands accordingly in-game so they can virtually fight off enemies with swords, guns or whatever other in-game weapons they might have.

Sony said that a number of first-party games are under development for the platform. Sony will be demonstrating the headset on the GDC showfloor tomorrow, with demos for games like Thief available.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats

Long time coming

I-Want-One... How am I the first to say this, i will 'keep my eyes out' for prices..

See what i did there :/