Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Shocks

Post Thanks
    Chats

Smile Rear Shocks

At my last MOT i was given an advisory that one of the rear shocks was leaking on my 2001 Renault Laguna. Have decided on DIY but on researching the work it would seem that the bottom fixing can be a complete bar steward to remove due to corrosion. I have prepared by soaking the fixings in penetrating fluid and have some heat on hand plus a big hammer/chisel.
    Has anyone attempted this specific removal themselves and have any tips to pass on.

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Cable Hidden Content
    At my last MOT i was given an advisory that one of the rear shocks was leaking on my 2001 Renault Laguna. Have decided on DIY but on researching the work it would seem that the bottom fixing can be a complete bar steward to remove due to corrosion. I have prepared by soaking the fixings in penetrating fluid and have some heat on hand plus a big hammer/chisel.
    Has anyone attempted this specific removal themselves and have any tips to pass on.
    A few months on it would be interesting to see how you got on. I once contiplated this on a 5 series tourer, but in the end did not attempt it as you have to split ball joints, and in the end was beyond my level of confidence. Paid for someone else to do it and think I avoided a lot of unnessary hassle! Since then i've always priced my own time into decided on things like this - you can always be doing something better!

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I have done this a few times before, splitting ball joints can be a pain, but if it is just a bolt use plenty of penetrating fluid, try to get some on the day before you start as it gives it time to work. Wd40 is not a penetrating fluid, contrary to popular belief, so get something that does the job. I read a review before and now use a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf to penetreate rusty bolts, came out top in the test of a lot of products. Also heat can be a big help but the parts need to be red hot to be any use, a big breaker bar is your best bet and a replacement bolt bought for when it snaps! Is not a tough job to do once the bolts are undone.