Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Moving phone point... is it hard?

When I got BT Infinity installed they have to put it on the first telephone point, which in my case is in my girls bedroom upstairs.

However I don't want all them wires up there as the little one is starting to be a nightmare and touch everything.

Is it possible to move that main point to down stairs behind my tv, that way the router can go there and TV, DVD player and sky box can all be connected to the router too.

The line from the BT line is attached to the wall, it then goes into the loft, so I'm thinking intercept it in the loft somewhere and bypass the the one in the bedroom, extend the cable somehow to go down the wall outside and into the house behind tv.

cheers
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I cant see it being a problem as there is only usually 4 wires to connect and as long as you take note of the numbers the different colours are pushed into the box, just re route the cable to were you want it or just join the old cable and a piece of new cable and route that
    coil and solder them together and insulate them with tape or rubber sleaving
    Hidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats
    what would you say to connect the wires together though fergals mate? A simple chock block?
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by krazylegz Hidden Content
    what would you say to connect the wires together though fergals mate? A simple chock block?
    That should do but if you hear any noise on the line i have edit my above post to include more info and a picture Hidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats
    cheers fergals I appreciate it Hidden Content

..... off upstairs I go to have a mooch Hidden Content
    PS3= krazylegz120282

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I would say if you can....... is to piggy back off the telephone point that they put in the bedroom down into your living room or were ever you need it ....
    all you would need is a slave telephone point and a 3 pair telephone cable ....run that from the back of the master socket which will be the new one that's in the bedroom using points 2, 3 and 5 and do the same on the new slave socket........job done
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

7. Likes DessertDog, fergalsworld liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Cheers Gaz I'll see if I can do that Hidden Content

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!
    PS3= krazylegz120282

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I had a look inside my box upstairs and there is 2 cables in there. White and black.

Am I correct in thinking that one is the Internet side ( maybes black ) and the other the telephone side?

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!
    PS3= krazylegz120282

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    nope you need both cables for phone and internet to work m8
    The White and black wires should be going to points 5 and 2 on the master socket in the bedroom
    To piggy back off this, if you go down that route of adding a slave you will need to connect your new wires from points 5, 2 and 3 from the master point to a slave telephone point which will be the same numbers used....point 3 being the bell wire which makes the phone ring if you have one plugged in to it.
    Hidden Content
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal!
    All the files available on this forum are kept for experimental and educational purpose only!

Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats
    but ofcourse NEVER plug anything into a phone socket in your house with a filter!

that'll kill the speed with noise .

if you can find a lump

get the screened 4 way mic cable from maplins or CPC or alike
    extend your phone line usign that

you'll be amazed how much noise the un screened telephone cable pickup.

esp extension leads from phone sockets.

the more noise you kill the faster your speed will be.

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Again, sorry to bring up an old thread, but just to add. the master phone socket is technically the property of the provider... BT and therefore moving it or interfering with it is against the contract.
    You can plug into it and add another point elsewhere but the line entering your house up to the main box is theirs. People do move them... there are new master box available to make it look like you haven't but beware if they know where it is and you have problems they might be unhelpful! they do charge a lot to move it mind.

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I've moved the Master socket in both houses i've used, must have been unluck because in the first house it was by an upstairs bedroom window and the second by the hall window, both useless places for adding extensions or connecting a router directly to the master. As bobcat says technically you are not allowed to move it as BT own it, however its not really the crime of the sentry and if you do it right and it never turns out to be the cause of a fault BT shouldn't care.

Assuming that the house is supplied from a telegraph pole, there may or may not be a further junction box on your house where the drop cable joins the house. You can buy the correct BS standard drop cable (same as BT use from the pole) and simply tie into the outside juction box and route to where you want the new master socket. Drop cable is at least 4 wires, ofter more and has tension wires as well, but only two cables are used. If you don't have an outside junction box again you can buy the Bt junction boxes too and add one.