WRESTLING legend Mick McManus has died at the age of 93.

One of the biggest names in the history of the sport in Britain and long-term star of ITVs World of Sport, McManus truly was the man who fans loved to hate.

Frank Rimer, who runs the British Wrestlers Reunion, said: I am deeply saddened to announce the death of the legend that was Mick McManus, who passed away at 1am.

Mick never recovered from the loss of his beloved wife Barbara and lost the will to live, despite the loving care of the nurses at the celebrity home for retired actors Brishing House where he lived out his final days.

Even the arrival of his old friend Lord Richard Attenborough recently failed to lift his spirits, refusing all food and drink until he quietly slipped into a coma three days ago.

Mick was without doubt, through his own efforts, the greatest wrestling name that the UK has ever seen or will see again, and even 25 years after his retirement, he retained his aura of stardom until the end. He was 93.

Tributes have been pouring in throughout today from wrestlers and fans on both sides of the Atlantic and from all generations.

WWE star William Regal tweeted: Very sorry to hear of the passing of one of my childhood heroes, Mick McManus.

I only got to see him wrestle live once. It was on my 9th birthday and I remember him giving me an autograph.

Got to know him in the 1980s and he was always nice.

A great man.

Nick Aldis, better known as Magnus in TNA wrestling, said: Woke up to the sad news of the passing of one of British Wrestling's true legends: Rest in Peace Mick McManus.

Nick also posted a picture of himself as an 18-year-old training at the Dropkixx Academy on a day when McManus paid a visit to inspire the students.

'Superstar' Mal Sanders, the first man to beat McManus in a televised match, wrote on Facebook: "I wrestled Mick a hundred times or more when I first came into the business and he looked after me every time.

"The wrestling game never has or never will see his like again. God bless Mick."
TNA Wrestling: British Boot Camp star Marty Scurll said: RIP Mick McManus, the greatest British wrestling villain in history.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mick a few times. True gent. Sad day.

British wrestling personality Dean Ayass has written an obituary of Mick McManus for SunSport, you can read it here.

Hidden Content

A proper wrestler, better than all the sh*te they have on tv today
RIP Mick Hidden Content