Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

File-Sharers More Likely to Pay for Movies, Books, Games and Concerts

A comprehensive report published by the Dutch Institution for Information Law and CentERdata reveals that compared to the rest of the population, file-sharers are more likely to pay for movies, books, games, concerts and box office tickets. The report further reveals that blocking websites such as The Pirate Bay does very little to deter consumers from sharing copyrighted files online.
    Earlier this week research from the Columbia University affiliated American Assembly found that U.S. file-sharers buy Hidden Content than their non-sharing music owning peers.
    Two days later the Dutch Hidden Content and Hidden Content have published Hidden Content which goes even further. The survey finds that more than a quarter (27.2%) of Dutch citizens, 16 years old and up, have downloaded from illegal sources during the past year.
    Interestingly, however, the same data also shows that these file-sharers are more likely to be paid consumers of a wide variety of media and entertainment, even when the results of the 2,009 respondents are controlled for age.
    The graph below shows that file-sharers are paying for digital music, movies, games and books more often, compared to those who haven?t downloaded any files from illegal sources (Hidden Content ), with the results being controlled for age.
    For example, file-sharers who ?pirate? movies or TV-shows are three times more likely to pay for downloads and streams of films and TV-series. Music sharers on their turn are four times more likely to pay for music downloads and streams.
    Putting it differently, the same data concludes that two-third of all music file-sharers does pay for music downloads or streams.

Filesharers more likely to buy digital (download/stream) music, books, movies and games

Hidden Content
    Interestingly, similar effects are found for physical media, but the differences are smaller here. The conclusion is nonetheless that file-sharers are also more likely to buy physical books, CDs and DVDs and games.
    The difference is most pronounced for games with 65% vs. 14%.

Filesharers more likely to buy physical music, books, movies and games

Hidden Content
    Speaking with TorrentFreak, researcher Joost Poort explains his findings by arguing that file-sharers tend to be more heavy entertainment consumers than those who don?t share anything.
    ?Some people are really into music, watching movies, gaming or reading books. I think our findings indicate that such people tend to make more intensive use of all available channels, both legal and illegal.?
    ?For most consumers, there is no Chinese wall between legal and illegal content, they decide what sources to use depending on their needs or expectations,? Poort adds.
    In addition to media buying habits, the survey also looked at spending on related entertainment such as concerts, movie tickets and merchandise. Again, the researchers conclude that file-sharers are spending money more often than the rest of the population.
    Those who downloaded movies from illegal sources during the past 12 months are 50% more likely to go to the movies than non-downloaders, for example (64% vs. 42%).

Filesharers more likely to visit concerts, movie theatres and buy merch

Hidden Content
    The correlation, however, should not be interpreted as a causal relationship. People don?t necessarily buy more because they share files, or vice versa. While sampling may be a factor, third variables such as interest in movies and music are likely to drive much of the effect.
    The researchers themselves stress that the data nonetheless should act as a warning for the entertainment industries, as it turns out that many file-sharers are also customers.
    ?The correlation stands out as a warning to industries not to alienate their most important clients from them, by criminalizing their behavior. My slogan is: don?t sue your customers, seduce them,? Joost Poort told TorrentFreak.
    The survey also looked at the effect of the court-ordered Pirate Bay blockade in the Netherlands. These results show that among the customers of ISPs who already enforce the block, only a small minority (5.5%) say they have stopped downloading or now download less.
    According to Poort, punishing people and censoring the Internet is futile.
    ?I don?t see much in blocking sites or going after downloaders. It will make people smarter and more convinced about downloading from illegal sources.?
    Poort further tells TorrentFreak that he sees no bright future for strict copyright enforcement measures. Instead, the entertainment industry should focus more on improving their legal offerings.
    ?Get your business model right and realize consumers no longer accept what they had to accept 20 years ago,? Poort says.
    The survey backs up this stance as it reveals that music file-sharing is declining in the Netherlands, a result that can be in part attributed to newly launched legal services such as Spotify.
    The full results of the Institution for Information Law report are Hidden Content . An English version is expected to be published in a few weeks.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

2. Thanks tinkertiler thanked for this post
    Likes tinkertiler liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: File-Sharers More Likely to Pay for Movies, Books, Games and Concerts

Why does this not shock me Hidden Content They say that piracy is all bad when they know full well it isnt and that its costing them x amount which is wrong too as people wouldnt buy everything they download anyway f they couldnt get hold of it that way!
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Post Thanks
    Chats

The main problem is that the media companies still want to stick with their old business models.

An example of a new model would be Louis CK's (and others since) model of self production and then charging $5 for a video of their stand up show.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i agree with you TT, people can only afford to buy so much stuff.

Copyright holders are trying to say that artists etc lose x amount through piracy. Ive tried to imagine a world WITHOUT piracy which i've daydreamed 2 versions Hidden Content .

1st one: copyright holders wet dream version

We all pay for top dollar for our music,movies etc and that includes buying multiple versions of the same film or music if we want to watch it on our mobiles/tv/computer and artists would be better off :-( If we did this life would be fair and consumers would get a better deal in future.

my 2nd vision is this:

we all obeidently pay for multiple copies of the same movie/music etc. The select few people get ritcher i.e record company bosses and artists would still continue to be screwed over.

its shamefully human nature to make more money than you'll ever spend and have so much power you can do whatever you like!
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

6. Likes tinkertiler liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dw_uk_00 Hidden Content
    The main problem is that the media companies still want to stick with their old business models.

An example of a new model would be Louis CK's (and others since) model of self production and then charging $5 for a video of their stand up show.
    yes, but until the old ceo's of the old regime die off, new age thinking like that will not be encouraged.

but i think now the scavengers of the legal world have found a new way to make money and prosecutuiong the public for 'possible' copyright infringement is to lucrative to turn down!