Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Windows Phone 7 Users Can't Upgrade to WP8

If you own a Windows phone now, you won't be included in the bright future of Windows Phone 8. There is a consolation prize, however--Windows Phone 7.8.

At the Windows Phone Developer Summit, Microsoft unveiled some of the features that will be found in its next mobile OS.

If you own a Windows phone today, you won't be able to get all the hot new features and Windows 8 integration announced today in Windows Phone 8 without buying a new Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, or HTC phone.
    The good news (well, sorta good news) is that you will be able to get the newly revamped "live tiles" design on the home screen of your WP7 phone via an update to Windows Phone 7.8.
    Hidden Content Microsoft's new Windows 8 OS will run on newer, faster phones.
    Microsoft explains that the new cababilities and features that come in Windows Phone 8 reach deeply into the guts of the phone, and require new phones with new hardware to support them.
    For instance, Microsoft says, WP8 is designed to run on next-generation phones that have multi-core processors, new graphics engines, higher screen resolutions, microSD storage, and near field communication radios (for mobile wallet functions). The one thing that existing Windows Phone 7 phones can handle, apparently, is the new user interface on the home screen.
    All those people who bought the much-hyped Nokia Lumia phone will get a new home screen and some upgraded apps in 7.8, but will be stuck with a phone that will seem old when new WP8 phones hit the market.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? Microsoft may have some good reasons for Windows Phone 8 not being backwards-compatible, but it seems like Microsoft has consistantly disowned its faithful by cutting them off from new developments in the OS.
    Windows Phone 8 is expected to go into general release with the Windows 8 operating system this fall, but Microsoft did not say exactly when the 7.8 upgrade would become available for WP7 users.
    The first Windows Phone 8 phones will come from Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, and HTC, and will be built with chips from Qualcomm.

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Windows Phone 7 Users Can't Upgrade to WP8

Made the mistake of upgrading early to the 900. I do like the phone, but sucks it won't cope with V8. Any one know how different 7.8 will be? I know the tiles will look a lot like WP8.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Yet another phone system rip off

Post Thanks
    Chats

M$ really do leave themselves open for hacking dont they?

Sure someone will work out a way to do it eventually!
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog" - Carl Jung

Nexus 7 wifi 32gb 1st Gen XenonHD-4.4.2 Build 1
    HTC one x cm-11-20140205-NIGHTLY-endeavoru

Post Thanks
    Chats

These phones seem locked down pretty tight. Hopefully the 7.8 will be a good compromise, though I doubt it. Hopefully it will transfer of files without using Zune!

Post Thanks
    Chats

It's not entirely surprising, slightly annoying but not the end of the phones use. Unless an app specifically utilises a WP8 feature, it'll be compatible with 7.8.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I love my WP7, need to upgrade to an 8 phone. Which handset is best? I like the HTCs