Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  11
    Post Thanks
    Chats

How to remotely lock and wipe a lost Android phone

There's no need to panic if you've lost an Android phone. That is, as long as you've already installed security software. With the right app, you can back up your contacts, lock the handset, and even wipe your phone's contents should it go missing.
    Mobiles are more vulnerable to real-world threats such as theft and loss than they are to rogue software stealing your private information from within. The ability to remotely lock it if stolen is just as important as running antivirus software. There are dozens of security apps to choose from, and the best will both lock your handset when lost and scan for malware threats during everyday use.
    Lookout, which is a free-to-use phone locker that has one of the best interfaces and will check that the apps installed on the phone aren't dodgy. Security on Android phones isn't all it could be, and rogue apps on Google Play are being downloaded by unsuspecting users, even though Google has recently added an app checker to the Play store. So follow these steps and close the door to ne'er-do-wel, whether they've nicked your mobile or are up to no good on the Internet.
    1. Install Lookout
    Click on the Google Play store (previously called Android Market) on your smartphone and type "lookout" into the search bar or click here. Click to install it and check that you're comfortable with the list of items the app will be able to access. Tick the box on the next screen to enable automatic updates. This will ensure Lookout can check for rogue apps and malware without you needing to perform a manual scan.

2. Get started
    Open the app and click the Get Started button on the home page. Lookout will quickly take you through enabling the malware scanner so it can check for any existing security issues. Click Next to proceed. Scanning will take place after the next step.

3. Create user account
    Next, you're prompted to create a user account so you can track your phone if it goes missing. Enter your e-mail address, choose a password, and click the Create Lookout Account. You'll be able to control access to your phone and view its whereabouts via your account at MyLookout.com.

4. Preventing malware from uninstalling your scanner
    In the Lookout Android app, free features are shown in green and premium ones in light blue. Click the Missing Device option at the bottom, choose New User on the next screen, and on the one after that, tick the Enable Better Protection option. Next you'll need to allow Lookout Administrator access to your phone. This prevents a rogue app from uninstalling Lookout's malware scanner and then going about its nefarious password-stealing business.

5. Back up contacts
    Let's assume you've mislaid your smartphone. On your computer, browse to MyLookout.com and log in to your account. Click the large icon relating to your device. The free account covers two. Add your phone number if you wish. More importantly, you should back up your phone contacts in case you need to lock your device if it goes missing. Click the Backup tab. Lookout stores your contacts and, optionally, your photos and call records. Up to 1.5GB of data can be stored. Photos can only be stored if you're a Lookout Premium user.

6. Locating your missing phone
    Back on the main screen, click the Missing Device tab and choose Locate to have Lookout pinpoint the phone on a map. Depending on the strength of the GPS and Wi-Fi signals, this could be accurate to between approximately 15 to 65 feet. Beneath the map you'll see latitude and longitude listings, along with the pertinent time and date. The app will also e-mail this map to you and provide a Google Maps link.

7. Trigger an alarm to find your phone
    Lookout can be set to emit a high-pitched scream alerting you to where it is. You can test this out by pressing the Scream option on the Missing Device tab. Since it can take a couple of minutes to find your phone, I recommend using the Locate option first to ensure Lookout is "connected" to your device. This way you won't risk dozing off as you wait for it to connect, only to leap in the air in shock when it eventually does (be warned, it's loud).

8. Remote lock
    To use the remote lock and data-wiping options in Lookout, you need to upgrade from the free version to Premium. There's a no-strings two-week trial, so go ahead and click to try it out. Lookout will display a four-digit code that you'll need in order to unlock the phone once it's been locked. A new, randomly generated PIN is provided each time you ask Lookout to lock your phone. Make a note of the number and keep it somewhere safe.

9. Unlock your phone
    Once Lookout has found your phone, it will replace the home screen with a huge Lookout shield logo and a field where you can enter the PIN generated when you asked Lookout to lock your handset. Enter this to gain access to your phone.

10. Wiping data
    You can also remotely wipe your Android phone's contents by choosing the Missing Device, Wipe Data option. I recommend this only if you have backed up its contents in some manner. To check what's stored, click the Backup tab on the MyLookout.com site. An overview of activity, including when the last backup took place, is shown on the dashboard. Note that the entire phone will be wiped, not just the contacts and photos that Lookout can retrieve. To retrieve backed-up phone content, click the Restore button in the Backup status section of the Dashboard.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

2. Thanks dave_moore, Craigd thanked for this post
    Likes DessertDog, Diablo13, dave_moore liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: How to remotely lock and wipe a lost Android phone

Android Lost is also an excellent app which does all of the above and is controllable via its website. You can login via Google credentials too so no security concerns to worry about. It's also completely free as well!

Hidden Content

4. Thanks DessertDog, Diablo13, Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Likes Pejazzle, thelostone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I have Lookout installed on my Galaxy SII.
    You get a months full trial, then you have to pay for it, or else you let it revert to the free version which has most of the important security features, including the anti malware.
    Being a tight git the free version will do for me, as I wouldn't usually take a mobile to the pub etc.
    Its a good app and it gives you updates regular health checks on the phone.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

6. Thanks Pejazzle, thelostone thanked for this post
    Legend
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by hubert_cumberdale Hidden Content
    Android Lost is also an excellent app which does all of the above and is controllable via its website. You can login via Google credentials too so no security concerns to worry about. It's also completely free as well!

Hidden Content
    Agreed! Got this installed on my phone in case I lose it or gets stolen, brilliant app which lets you control your phone much more than other apps like it.

Also always have a lock on the phone, either password or the swipe thingy.

8. Thanks Diablo13, thelostone thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I wouldn't recommend a swipe pattern as you can see the trace of it when you hold the screen up to the light! Plus, by its nature, there aren't as many possible combinations as an alphanumeric PIN/password.

10. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes thelostone liked this post
    Legend
    Post Thanks
    Chats

I don't see any traces under light? I doubt google would make that security mistake and if they did it would be patched by now. Also I know there isn't as many combinations but just don't use simple ones. Or just use a password/pin like I also said.

12. Likes Diablo13, thelostone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Pejazzle Hidden Content
    I don't see any traces under light? I doubt google would make that security mistake and if they did it would be patched by now. Also I know there isn't as many combinations but just don't use simple ones. Or just use a password/pin like I also said.
    I meant you can see a greasy finger smear of your unlock pattern when you hold the screen up to the light when the screen is off! There is a lo-tech solution to this though - give the screen a wipe afterwards! Hidden Content

14. Thanks Pejazzle thanked for this post
    Likes Pejazzle, Diablo13 liked this post
    Legend
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by hubert_cumberdale Hidden Content
    I meant you can see a greasy finger smear of your unlock pattern when you hold the screen up to the light when the screen is off! There is a lo-tech solution to this though - give the screen a wipe afterwards! Hidden Content
    Oh right I see what you mean now. I got fingerprints all over anyway Hidden Content

16. Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

This is excellent. Thanks. Love the alarm trigger.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I use an app that is really cool and also helps you find your lost phone. It's called "wheresmydroid" you can send a pre-defined word in a text to the phone from a secondary phone (friends) and you can either make it ring, wipe it or more impressively turn on GPS and send a text back with a link to it's location in google maps, the lat & long map co-ords and the approximate address, usually minmum of street or road. Big THUMBS up from me Hidden Content