Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Apple TV

Post Thanks
    Chats

Apple TV

Thinking of getting Apple TV. Any opinions on it welcome before I do. What's good about it, what's not?

Post Thanks
    Chats
    I had my Apple TV for a couple of years, it's pretty dam good, though to really unlock the potential you need to jailbreak and add XBMC, this gives quite a number of apps such as Iplayer etc (bit flaky though) and the potential to connect to a NAS drive, useful for watching downloaded movies

One of he main plus points for the Apple TV , and this is true of non jailbreaked boxes as well is air play, this is the ability to stream videos from your other apple devices, I also like the movie trailers function

All in all a worthwhile purchase, will be even better if they incorporate catch up TV officially and here are even rumours of BT sport launching an app for the platform, fingers crossed on that one

Post Thanks
    Chats
    If you can install Plex on a computer/NAS and have an iPhone/iPad/iPod you can AirPlay movies to it, which makes it a great device for home theatre.

Also you can AirPlay BBC iPlayer, itv player etc so useful for catch up TV if you dont have it built into your TV / other set top box.

Hoping Apple will allow developers apps access soon though!

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hi,

New here...

We had an Apple TV box a while ago. Nifty cleaver device and impressive it can be remotely controlled from an iPod or iPhone. To me it seemed great to watch youtube and stream free media but apart from that, without paying most the content couldn't be touched. Never heard 'jailbreak' - something to Google :-) I should find the cupboard that little box is hiding in and give it another go.

-Bob

Post Thanks
    Chats
    Xbmc is worth a try. I'm running the latest version on an old laptop with Ubuntu on. Instal some add ons and the amount of content is mind blowing, very stable too.

6. Thanks iambruce thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Davis Hidden Content
    Thinking of getting Apple TV. Any opinions on it welcome before I do. What's good about it, what's not?
    I've got an ATV2, but it's the early generation one which could be jailbroken and so I have XBMC installed on it which is great for streaming films off a NAS. I wouldn't buy one of the new generation ones though as they can't be jailbroken as far as I know which limits them to just pay per view films and TV series.