Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    snifferdog

Solar heating any good?

A few houses around me have installed solar panels to supplement the heating of their hot water. Is there a real saving in doing this because the actual systems seem to be really expensive, and I assume that they work best - when you need them least, i.e in the middle of a scorching summer. Any experience of solar heating? Does anyone know if there are grants available, and if they are available to anyone?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Solar heating any good?

solar panels will cut the cost of heating your water but it will take about 5 years to pay for itself i wouldnt recomend it

universall

yeah its a long term thing, but if you have the cash i say go for it.

johnzer

Solar panels and solar heating, brilliant ideas, just the efficienty of each is pretty poor - wouldn't recommend it in it's current state

gonzales

There are abou 8 months without too much sunshine, are the panels any good then?

Post Thanks
    Chats

I was thinking of making a solution for this...

My roof gets very hot... in excess of 40C during lunchtime.

I was thinking with my knowledge of microcontrollers I could use a solid-state-relay and have that control a pump, and have a solenoid valve to switch between Gas and Solar, then have the pump, pump the water around the roof threw the heating element in my hot water tank. Then with a temperature sensor on the roof and tank and a flow sensor on my pipe to the house.

My easy language code. (NOT BASIC SO DON'T COME BACK ABOUT CODING ERRORS. I KNOW).

MAIN:
    if the tank isn't hot then {

if the roof isn't hot {

turn back to gas

} else {

pump the roof

}
    }

goto check

CHECK:
    if flow sensor detect {

if the tank isn't hot {
    if the roof isn't hot {

gas
    } else {

pump the roof
    pause 40000

}
    }

goto MAIN

I could have this setup for < 800 Quid...

Also blackened out glass 25mm dia tubes are the heat collectors

Post Thanks
    Chats

I think it all comes down to cost. I know the small wind turbines which have been mentioned in the press recently work out costing you more so I'd like to know if this is the case with the Solar heating

snifferdog

Hidden Content Originally Posted by 1430N3 Hidden Content
    I was thinking of making a solution for this...
    My roof gets very hot... in excess of 40C during lunchtime.
    I was thinking with my knowledge of microcontrollers I could use a solid-state-relay and have that control a pump, and have a solenoid valve to switch between Gas and Solar, then have the pump, pump the water around the roof threw the heating element in my hot water tank. Then with a temperature sensor on the roof and tank and a flow sensor on my pipe to the house.
    My easy language code. (NOT BASIC SO DON'T COME BACK ABOUT CODING ERRORS. I KNOW).
    MAIN:
    if the tank isn't hot then {
    if the roof isn't hot {
    turn back to gas
    } else {
    pump the roof
    }
    }
    goto check
    CHECK:
    if flow sensor detect {
    if the tank isn't hot {
    if the roof isn't hot {
    gas
    } else {
    pump the roof
    pause 40000
    }
    }
    goto MAIN
    I could have this setup for < 800 Quid...
    Also blackened out glass 25mm dia tubes are the heat collectors
    Interesting idea, though to be honest it sounds like a fairly standard solar setup, with a single cylinder which has two coils, one for gas, one for solar or solid fuel. Oops, almost missed the point of your post - under 800 Quid. I can relate to that! - how would you design your collectors for maximum efficiency - 25mm seems a little big, (Though but I suppose it depends on the size of your 'panel'. Could you have some sort of 'fin' arrangement like a radiator but for collecting heat instead of expelling it? - possibilites are endless I guess.) This site might help you explore your idea further. Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

The glass tubes can be shaped into any form (they are neon tubes). They can also be almost any diameter. I was also thinking of having the whole side of the roof covered (not just one section). They shouldn't loose heat because the picaxe will detect if the roof isn't hot and automatically not pump onto thje roof. I did want to try 'direct' heating without the heating coil but I can't find a tank that is insulated that does this -_-. What is the best roof coil design, I've already thought of putting foil behind.
    Also known as Fishyghost
    Co-owner of LithiumHost.com
    For Cheap Reliable Hosting from as little as $1 per month!
    Hidden Content

snifferdog

You,d have to be very careful if you did try a direct system as water needs to be kept above 60c to avoid the possiblity of legionnaires and other nasties....not sure it would be capable of that, unless your system was purely for central heating - no showers or baths. (but then would you need the tank?) As for a direct insulated tank, I would think you could use any tank as direct if you ignore the coil in/out and just plumb to the Hot/Cold.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

just get a grant from the government to help with the costs

the thing with solar power/heating n stuff is that it is all a longterm thing

i wouldnt recommend building one unless u really know how because u could spend a lot of time and money then it breaking

Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Re: Solar heating any good?

Do you need planning permision to put one of these on your roof

Post Thanks
    Chats

government grants are available for these things. A guy i work with replied to a flier about a year ago for the solar powered water heaters if i remember correctly he would have to pay ?5000 towards the ?7000 cost of them. so he didnt bother.
    It was only on saturday that i was talking to a local councillor who is a friend of mine and he was telling me that to get one of those wind turbines put up you need to have planning permission.

Post Thanks
    Chats
    yes they are good but depends on who fits it for you if they are good then yes if they have never fitted one b4 then no big troble cheq them out first
    or dont get it it will save you money and you can get a grant towards it
    gov grant

you need planning permission on any thing added to your house ask and you will be told
    Last edited by fergalsworld; 07-01-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Merged

Post Thanks
    Chats

I considered something similar a couple of years ago - solar electric. There are/were 50% grants available but despite the Government claiming to be green (when they are introducing taxes anyway) the grants are very difficult to get and there are only a few available at a time.

The system I was looking at was ?10,000 less the grant. Solar panels on the roof generated electricity for your house. There is still a live connection to the mains, but if you generated a surplus, the meter goes backwards and you are effectively selling it back to the grid.

I worked out it would take about 10-12 years to pay for itself, probably less now that Elecricity is more expensive.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Fluffy Hidden Content
    Do you need planning permision to put one of these on your roof
    yes any up grades need planning permision

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by snifferdog Hidden Content
    A few houses around me have installed solar panels to supplement the heating of their hot water. Is there a real saving in doing this because the actual systems seem to be really expensive, and I assume that they work best - when you need them least, i.e in the middle of a scorching summer. Any experience of solar heating? Does anyone know if there are grants available, and if they are available to anyone?

I've had an indirect evacuated tube system installed and I had an oversized solar array installed which is providing hot water pretty much all year round. Have a look at Aztec Hidden Content the company I used
    Last edited by simonjames; 09-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.