Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: SKY fibre optic

Post Thanks
    Chats

SKY fibre optic

Just registered to upgrade my broadband, what a nightmare SKY are. First it wasnt available in my area, this was identified using my phone number. Then it was by using my address. Then I received an email saying it is not possible. I could go with Virgin or BT but not SKY

2. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: SKY fibre optic

Generally speaking you are better off with Virgin, for speed and reliability, even customer service is better for broadband than Sky.
    Best of both worlds is Sky for tv and Virgin for internet connection!

P.S. Welcome to our friendly forums Mr Kinkladze.
    Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

In my experience Virgin media's network and customer support are quite the contrary. The network is always slow with high packet loss, they equipment they provide is terrible and the tech support are no use at all. I've tried to sign up to sky fibre, however they say I don't have a compatible sky talk line, which is utter crap since I already have sky talk with my sky adsl!

5. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Ive been with Virgin for nearly a year now running 60 meg broadband with next to no packet loss. I have found their customer service to be very good. In fact due to their mistakes I had to wait 2 extra weeks for my initial installation. After contacting high priority complaints at their head office I got a free 1tb TiVo box, they waived the ?3 a month TiVo fee for a year and gave me ?100 credit. So if you have any issues I recommend complaining via their head office rather than their Indian call centres Hidden Content

As Diablo said for just digital tv go for sky, if you are like me and care more about the Internet then def get Virgin Hidden Content

7. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

hi,

i've been with virgin media around 8 years now and have to say that their fibre optic is the very best!!, i consistently get ping response below 15ms and my speed never falls below 80% of the advertised rate (if at all). VM is the way for broadband, but I agree that Sky TV is better than Virgin.

9. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

All experience ive had points to virgin being the better option for internet, sky plus beats tivo hands down, id prefer a dreambox setup and virgin internet

11. Likes Diablo13 liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

So annoyed with Sky. My area is Fibre enabled but for some stupid reason Sky don't offer a package. Telephoned them and they said they don't know when they will be enabling it. Not normally like Skybto say no to money!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Redmanc Hidden Content
    So annoyed with Sky. My area is Fibre enabled but for some stupid reason Sky don't offer a package. Telephoned them and they said they don't know when they will be enabling it. Not normally like Skybto say no to money!
    Rubbish ! (do you mean sky tv or the phone and BB, you didnt say ?),if its the complete works then if your home has a phoneline then you can get sky nomatter what, only reason they would refuse you is if you owed money to them that was unpaid etc, simple as ! sorry mate, I am just being straight to the point as I dont beleive in beating about the bush, so whoever told you that is talking utter garbage ! (unless your property is entirely obstructed with trees or buildings not allowing the sat dish to be able to point to the sky sat in space 28.2East), so thats the only 2 reasons why they would refuse, if you have none of those problems them someone is talking porky pies.

p.s
    the guy who posted the first post in this thread has never ever posted back, tick tock, Hidden Content Hidden Content , just looked another couple of the guys profiles too in this thread and its the same, tick tock tick tock, Hidden Content , I'm saying nothing man, i have offered my advice to the other guy there in the last post and thats that Hidden Content

Edit : use this to make sure your dish has line of sight to sky satellite 28.2east, just put first line of address and postcode and select the option for astra 28.2E >> Hidden Content
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 18-06-2012 at 04:46 AM.

14. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

If you are with Sky for internet, what is the best way to check your connection speed?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by supertoe Hidden Content
    If you are with Sky for internet, what is the best way to check your connection speed?
    speedtest.net

17. Thanks supertoe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

What is a good speed to be getting through Sky?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by supertoe Hidden Content
    What is a good speed to be getting through Sky?
    call sky or bt (its the bt lines sky use anyway) or maybe even go onto thier websites, they generally can either tell you over the phone your estimated highest speed, or they might have a facility on thier site where you enter in your postecode etc and it tells you what speed you can expect to get, it all depends on how far away from the telephone exchange you are, the further from the exchange the lower your speeds will be, and beleive me, they speeds drop like a brick in water for every mile of distance you are from the exchange, and you cant even measure the distance like in a straight line like "as the crow flys" so to speak, because all the telephone wires go round streets etc etc etc, they dont go in a straight line, so if you can imagine say your 2 miles from the exhange as the crow flys and between you and the exchange is built up areas (loads of streets etc) then you can add on maybe at least another mile, maybe even more, simple as that.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i wish i could have any cable internet. Bt only area. ****E

Post Thanks
    Chats

I wish I could VM but my area isn't cabled. Sky do offer fibre though and I keep thinking of going for it but my speed is so slow at the moment, I don't trust that they can improve it as much as they claim.

Post Thanks
    Chats

No company does fibre optic in my area and it really annoys me. I live in a city but apparently they can't get it over a river that splits the city in half. I'm with sky ATM but it is terrible. Get disconnected constantly.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I'm on Sky Fibre.
    Had to wait 2 months for the exchange to be supported by Sky as it had already been Infinity enabled for a year and a half.

I get 40mb down and 10mb up, though realistically I dont ever seem to get past 33mb on Speedtest.net but if i'm torrenting I can hit about 4.3mb/s. Upload is great. I normally get 1.1ish mb/s.

I've not really had any problems with the service itself, its the stupid Sagem 2504n they've given me. Sometimes it just stops working and sits there. You have to go and reboot it and then its up again.

It's a bit confusing as the OpenReach engineer said as Sky chose the quick and easy install method. Essentially, the 2504n is configured to work via WANoE, instead of via the ADSL port, which plugs into the OpenReach modem (in my case a Huawei Echolife HG612), and that goes into LAN1 of the router.

I've hacked the firmware of the Fibre Optic modem and you can see how its been specifically set up to only work on a Sky Router. Plus, It also tells you the maximum line speed, mine is 95mb down and 34mb up.

Barry:
    You could try what they call a "BT Accelerator / iPlate". It's supposed to stabilize your connection and increase speed where possible. Though it's only said to work with people who have additional extension wiring because it stops the broadband at the Master Socket from flowing down the extension wires, I've seen it give me an extra MB. And on ADSL the MB's count!

24. Likes berley liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Just out of interest, is there a way to find out when my local exchange is going to be fibre enabled?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the info Rob looking at upgrading my SKY DSL to SKY FTTC and did wonder what kit configuration they would use.