Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD for PS2.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: HDD for PS2.

Hidden Content Originally Posted by bobbyboy123 Hidden Content
    Has anyone had any experience on using an external HD through USB on
    the slimline PS2.. I was thinking of trying it on my brothers.. ??

Yes I've tried not that simple still havn't cracked it yet

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have a 200GB Maxtor inside my chubby PS2 with the HDAdvance software. Works flawlessly (even after dropping it on holiday) including memory cards.

Those people looking to backup memory card saves, the Max Drive (by Datel) is a good place to start. The can be backed up from the PS2 and copied to your PC and vice versa. It certainly saves having to edit the teams in Pro Evo Soccer 6 anyway!

For games not working on the HDD there are a few games that need different 'modes' to be enabled. With the HDAdvance software you just press Select in the game list and then change options from there. Alternatively, you may use Winhiip to transfer files to the PS2 HDD and can set options before you transfer. That usually stops the 'black screen' from interfering! ps2hd.com has a good list, but many of the entries are wrong or newer games are missing.

Most emulators (SNES, Megadrive etc) will not run unless the PS2 is chipped. Simply because it's difficult to enable reading of roms from the HDD. The emulators are normally packaged into an .ISO file, which would be your CD-R if it was chipped. Some do allow reading from memory cards which can be difficult for the novice to set up.

There are a myriad of other things you can do then like play MP3s, videos etc when they have been chipped. You'll also not have to worry about the compatibility as you can just boot the discs instead. Of course, those that work can still be copied to the HDD to save loading times (very noticable).

As for USBXtreme, I have not personally had dealings with one, but know people who have. Due to the restrictions of USB the data transfer rate is slower than IDE and can cause problems with FMV sequences and also has a lower compatibility rate.

Bear in mind that you will need a PS2 network adapter if using a chubby one (only really available on fleabay now as Sony no longer make them) to use the HDD in your chubby PS2. Because they're not made anymore, they were fetching around ?35-40 when I last looked.

Here's a link to the HDAdvance/USBeTreme site. There is a section on where to buy. Mine and my friends ones came from HDAdvanceUK.com but they have since stopped trading.

Hidden Content

Hope this helps clear up a few things.
    Last edited by shandybean; 01-05-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Ease of reading...

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have a 160gb Maxtor in mine, was advised to used Maxtor my least favourite make of drive due to the size of the expansion bay was told the Maxtor fits just perfectly and it does, has been running with Hdavance for about 18 months now without problem, my PS2 is not chipped and boots from the memory card and plays copies without issue

Orinoco

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Orinoco Hidden Content
    I have a 160gb Maxtor in mine, was advised to used Maxtor my least favourite make of drive due to the size of the expansion bay was told the Maxtor fits just perfectly and it does, has been running with Hdavance for about 18 months now without problem, my PS2 is not chipped and boots from the memory card and plays copies without issue
    Orinoco
    Orinoco,

When you say it plays copies fine, do you mean ISOs installed on the HDD?

Andy

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by shandybean Hidden Content
    Orinoco,
    When you say it plays copies fine, do you mean ISOs installed on the HDD?
    Andy
    Yeah, apologies for any confusion I caused, you are correct I mean ISOs installed on the HDD

Regards

Orinoco

Post Thanks
    Chats

i have a 160gb excelstar working perfectly, bought from maplins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12