Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Microsoft ends support for Vista Service Pack 1

Microsoft dropped support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 this week, and recommended that Vista users buy Windows 7 or upgrade to the most recent version of Vista.
    There were two Vista service packs. Support for the first ended Tuesday, while Service Pack 2 will continue to receive mainstream support until April 10, 2012, and the more limited "extended support" until April 11, 2017. Once support for a service pack ends, that software no longer receives security updates.
    In the Windows Team Blog, Microsoft said: "We recommend folks look at upgrading to Windows 7, which is the fastest selling operating system in history, selling over 400 million licences to date. Windows Vista users can also use Windows Update to update their PC to the latest service pack available which is Service Pack 2."
    Just because your software is out of date doesn't mean you need to buy a new computer. A Vista machine can upgrade to the second Service Pack for free. Many Vista machines have the hardware necessary to upgrade to Windows 7, and this week Microsoft said any PC capable of running Windows 7 will be capable of future upgrade to Windows 8.
    Since Vista was never that popular, the bigger issue applies to users of Windows XP, still the most widely used version of Windows. All support of Windows XP Service Pack 2 ended last year, but XP's third service pack is on extended support until April 8, 2014. According to Microsoft, sales of PCs with XP pre-installed ended last year and sales of PCs with Vista pre-installed will end in October of this year.
    Microsoft is starting to show previews of Windows 8, signalling that it could come out sometime next year. How long Windows 7 continues to receive support has not yet been determined.
    Also
    Microsoft's new browser, Internet Explorer 10 (IE10), will not run on Windows Vista, either now in its developer preview form or when the software ships, the company confirmed.
    The decision makes Microsoft the first browser developer to drop support for Vista, and follows the move last year when it announced Windows XP would not run IE9.

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

2. Thanks tinkertiler, Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Microsoft ends support for Vista Service Pack 1

Lets all upgrade to windows 7 so they can say next year that they are dropping that too!! Ms you are pushing the wrong buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

4. Thanks thelostone, Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes Pejazzle, Thomas Leone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by tinkertiler Hidden Content
    Lets all upgrade to windows 7 so they can say next year that they are dropping that too!! Ms you are pushing the wrong buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just in time for windows 8 Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

6. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Microshaft are really kicking the arse out of this upgrade lark! Hidden Content
    If Linux was more user friendly people would abandon windows altogether, then where would they be!
    I run Win 7, that doesn't mean I want to run Win bloody 8 as soon as it comes out. They can stick their IE 10 with all its social applications crap up their corporate jacksies as well for me!
    Hidden Content

Its about time someone reigned them in and stopped them removing support for everything but their newest brainchild. No one asked for Win 8 or IE 10, so just because they made it doesn't mean you should have to have it!
    Hidden Content

You made and sold these OS's MS, so bloody well support the people that paid for your champagne breakfasts!

If you run a decent security package at least that gets regularly updated, so do you really need all the MS updates and crappy sometimes work, sometimes don't drivers?

I think I'll go and shave my nuts, then they won't have me by the short and curlies, as they think they have!
    Hidden Content

Rant over!
    AHH I feel better for that, ................. and my nuts can breathe easier as well!
    Hidden Content
    Last edited by Diablo13; 16-07-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Syntax

8. Thanks tinkertiler, thelostone thanked for this post
    Likes Pejazzle, Thomas Leone liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

so that means ill have to get rid of Hidden Content Hidden Content