Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut remains the hot dog-eating champion after devouring 62 in ten minutes.

The American, 27, has now won Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Contest for five consecutive years.

Chestnut, six feet tall and weighing 218 pounds (99 kilograms), secured the victory and the $10,000 (?6,250) prize in New York on July 4, America's Independence Day. However, he fell short of his personal record of 68 that he achieved in 2009.

"I came out here to win," he said. "I did what I had to do. I feel great."

Sonya 'The Black Widow' Thomas, a Korean-born American, took the women's title after consuming 40 hot dogs.

Former champion Takeru Kobayashi, who won the men's event from 2001 to 2006 before Chestnut's winning streak, held his own unofficial contest at the same time, which he won with a reported 69 downed hot dogs.

The Japanese six-time winner did not compete at the official contest because of a contractual dispute with event sponsor Major League Eating.

Kobayashi was arrested at last year's tournament after gatecrashing, but has beaten his fierce rival Chestnut in a pizza-eating contest in the past.