Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks
    Chats

new Hitachi HDR255 250GB Digital TV Freeview+ Recorder

hi Guys new here so please don't shout at me if posting in the wrong forum but does any one have any thoughts on the above free view box? looking at getting it for an elderly relative to replace his VCR so doesn't need hd etc. in Argos for ?80.00

2. Likes Spinifex liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Hitachi HDR255 250GB Digital TV Freeview+ Recorder

if he is tech savvy ish then he should be ok.

it all depends m8, you know that person we dont.
    would he make use of the recording side?

if not then find something cheaper, if yes then i guess it would be fine,
    its not too pricey for what it is...

Post Thanks
    Chats

not too techy but has programmed a VCR and lets face it untill video plus came along this could be tricky, my own free view recorder is built into my dvd recorder and has an epg not too dissimilar to sky. that is point and tab to record, info suggests this is the case with most recorders. It is for recording as you can imagine video tapes are getting harder to get and come the switch over the VCR he has will be obsolete.
    Thanks for the advise I think I'll go with this as I thought the price reasonable too.

5. Thanks Spinifex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

You could always put in a bigger hard drive too.

Also remember the thanks button if people have helped you or you appreciate the reply.

Spin.

Post Thanks
    Chats

I have found that the panasonic stuff is very easy to use but having said that it is more expensive,having said that had a quick look at the specs and it looks ok.It has the bonus of freeview+ meaning it has a series link a very usefull feature and the hdd looks big enough
    • Freeview+.
    • Twin tuner.
    • 250GB hard drive.
    • 120 hours recording time.
    • Record 2 channels at the same time.
    • Series record.
    • Pause live TV.
    • I think the only thing it doesn't have is freeview hd might be worth considering but your relative may not be interested in that and they are more expensive

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

8. Thanks Diablo13 thanked for this post
    Likes Spinifex liked this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

For the money I think this is a good machine. My personal experience with Hitachi freeview recorders has been good. I owned and used a Hitachi HDR253 ( ... the model before the HDR255.) for a couple of years, up until March this year when I decided to get a Freeview HD box. There was very occasionally a problem, (i.e. the odd time it would freeze, but switching it off and on again at the mains dealt with that.) but personally I don't think any Freeview recorders are 100% perfect. They all have the odd giltch and their own idiosyncrasies. On the whole I found the Hitachi to be a reliable and able little machine. It never missed any timed recordings, it had a good U.I. and also had some very neat features. I liked the fact that timed recordings were triggered by the programme starting/finishing, not by the actual time. (i.e. if a programme started early or late it didn't matter. It still accurately recorded the full programme.) These Hitachi machines are actually made by a firm called Vestel who make freeview recorders for many well known brand names. (i.e. Alba, Bush, Digihome, Ferguson, Goodmans, Grundig, Hitachi, Sharp, Technika, Wharfdale and probably a few more that I can't think of at present.) They all feature very similar, user friendly layouts, menus etc. I would recommend that you purchase from a mainstream retailer. You see a lots of these units being sold on eBay claiming to be brand new items, but the only official sellers are Argos, Asda, Comet and Tesco. Anything on eBay is likely to be a customer return, a refurbished unit or at worst a completely faulty item.

10. Thanks berley thanked for this post