Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks
    Chats

wii Pre-Modding a Wii

Hi Peeps,

I have simple question, I'm thinking about buying a Wii and soft modding it.

My question is, how hard is it to do?

Thank you in advance.

:-)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Pre-Modding a Wii

Have a look here Hidden Content
    Welcome to World of Digital

Hidden Content

I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate click below

Hidden Content <<<< Click to Donate.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks, I have had a shufty through the basics, seems like alot to do, just wanted few opinions from maybe a few veteran modders, of how easy it was overall.

And what are benefits of chip vs soft mod method?

Post Thanks
    Chats

The only benifit as i see it between the two options m8 is
    1.softmod you can use an externall hard drive to put games on and run from the wii.
    2.Chip this is the method i have on mine i had mine chipped about 18 months ago and not had any problem as yet but i cannot use a hard drive with it,but with the cost of DVDs these days its no real hard work to burn them to DVD.
    To be fair the choice is yours do plenty of reading on Forums m8 there are loads out there use google to search.
    Hope this has helped you a little.
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

Tech Re: Pre-Modding a Wii I

Yeah, that explains loads, to modding to the diffrent types.

How long would you say that it would take on average to soft mod a Wii?

This question is to anyone who has soft modded or has any insight in doing so.

:-)

Post Thanks
    Chats

it depends on the firmware of the wii you are planning to softmod as some firmwares require a certain game to find the exploit in the coding to begin the process.

if you google ModMii you should find that make the process as easy as possible. its a program that will place all the required files on to your sd card dependant on your wiis firmware all you have to do is select the correct firmware from the program and it does all the work.

the information is all available from google and the top search result should also contain a step by step guide from another forum, if i get the time i'll compile one myself and post it in the wii section but hopefully this will help you on your way in the world of softmodding!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by grantstrouther1982 Hidden Content
    it depends on the firmware of the wii you are planning to softmod as some firmwares require a certain game to find the exploit in the coding to begin the process.

if you google ModMii you should find that make the process as easy as possible. its a program that will place all the required files on to your sd card dependant on your wiis firmware all you have to do is select the correct firmware from the program and it does all the work.

the information is all available from google and the top search result should also contain a step by step guide from another forum, if i get the time i'll compile one myself and post it in the wii section but hopefully this will help you on your way in the world of softmodding!
    Would you say that the older firmware is more and easily exploitable rather than the newer firmwares, and what version is the latest firmware @ and is there any versions of the firmware that should be avoided due to lack of exploitibility for that particular firmware?

Your answers are very much appreciated

Post Thanks
    Chats

the firmware that is regarded as the easiest to softmod is 4.1 as in 4.2 and 4.3 they started to add anti piracy features (4.3 more so than 4.2).

all firmwares are exploitable but 4.1 is the easiest to do in my opinion.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thats brilliant.

i take it all the current retailed Wii's at the mo are 4.3, is there such a thing as reverting the firmware to an ealier version.

What are my options in regards to getting a 4.1 or 4.2 apart from purchasing an older model.

Thanks

Post Thanks
    Chats

Ebay may be a good sorce m8 but be carefull who you deal with check there feedback score and read some of there feedback on there sales.
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

11. Thanks jahhus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

i wouldn't recommend trying to downgrade the firmware as it can result in bricking the wii, if you do end up with a 4.2 or 4.3 the softmod is still possible just the process is a little harder and longer than it would be on a 4.1.

as i stated earlier the modmii program will prepare your sd card with all the required files for the softmod, just take your time and read the guide from the top search result on google for modmii and you should get the job done with little fuss

13. Thanks jahhus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks
    Chats

While not meaning to hijack your thread jahhus, I just wondered if a modded WII is capable of playing old Nintendo games from previous consoles?
    I downloaded a pc emulater and some old NES and Snes games recently and had a bit of fun with old Zelda games, so I just wondered if it was possible, while you were talking WII mods?
    Thanks for your patience.

Post Thanks
    Chats

i'm not 100% here but i'm sure you can get a modded wii to run the roms from an emulator after installing an emulator channel to the wii, i suppose google may hold the answer.

i do know that you can install old games to your console to play like they had been purchased from the virtual console on the wii store as i have wonderboy, mario 1-3, punchout, double dragon, sonic 1, operation wolf and tmnt installed on mine Hidden Content

i downloaded a wii vc pack from a torrent site and installing them was done via the wad manager program which you launch via the homebrew channel.

hope this helps for now

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    While not meaning to hijack your thread jahhus, I just wondered if a modded WII is capable of playing old Nintendo games from previous consoles?
    I downloaded a pc emulater and some old NES and Snes games recently and had a bit of fun with old Zelda games, so I just wondered if it was possible, while you were talking WII mods?
    Thanks for your patience.
    Hey, nay bother, all the info mustered together is best, the more the merrier ;-)

Only issue i have now is to be on the dark side or the light side, black or white, Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

black wii's can not play back ups from a disc that much i do know and its always handy to have that option as a back up if the harddrive your using fails. also i'm not sure if you will be able to rip a game to your hd unless your using an original game disc on the black wiis.

hope that helps with your choice mate

Post Thanks
    Chats

Well there you go grantstrouther, thanks.
    I was looking at some black Wiis on offer in a local shop for 99 quid only the other day.
    I thought the only difference was the colour and although the white ones were dearer, I just put it down to a fashion /furnishings preference!
    Glad you posted that info because a crippled machine is not worth the saving.

Post Thanks
    Chats

glad to help Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by grantstrouther1982 Hidden Content
    black wii's can not play back ups from a disc that much i do know and its always handy to have that option as a back up if the harddrive your using fails. also i'm not sure if you will be able to rip a game to your hd unless your using an original game disc on the black wiis.

hope that helps with your choice mate
    That's great bit of information, and I also nearly kneeled to the darkside.

So if I was only planning to go for the softmod option, would that work fine with the black one?

And do you know at all why the black wii is not able to able to do this is it due to hardware or firmware restrictions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wii are very cheap these days you can buy a bundle pack for ?120 in the uk now and it very easy to mod all you need is zelda i think not sure that still work for the new wii tho

Post Thanks
    Chats

jahhus the black wiis can run backups but only via a usb loader as nintendo removed the ability to read dvd-r from the drives they used in the black models in an attempt to curb the backup movement.

jetleet the twilight princess exploit only works on wii's with a firmware below 4.0, bannerbomb works for any firmware from 3.x-4.0 above that different exploits are used from different games, these titles have rocketed in value as people know what they are used for and are charging a premium. the last exploit i recall being released was for firmware 4.3 and needed lego batman, before that it was either the 1st lego indiana jones game or yu-gi-ho 5d wheelie breakers that give you the ability to hack a 4.3 wii when used with the compiled save files to activate the exploit.

a quick google search will pull up all the guides you could need.

hope that helps i'm off to bed now just got in from my night shift Hidden Content

23. Thanks jahhus thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast