Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Google to launch TV service this autumn

Google CEO Eric Schmidt said Tuesday that the company will launch its TV service in the US this fall.
    Schmidt made the comments while answering questions from reporters after his morning keynote speech at the IFA consumer electronics tradefair in Berlin. He noted that Google is planning to shortly bring the web to US televisions, according to a report from Reuters .
    Schmidt's remarks confirmed that Google remains on track. At the Google I/O Developer conference in May, the company said it was planning to release Google TV by the fall.The company has been working with Intel , Sony, and Logitech to develop Google TV as an open platform.

Google TV is designed to give viewers the same search capabilities and video options they have online. For example, a sports fan could find out when a favorite team is playing next by running a Google search on his TV.
    "Google TV is an ambitious effort to open up the set-top box, just as Google opened up the cell phone with Android ," said Dan Olds, an analyst with The Gabriel Consulting Group. "What Google really is doing is bringing apps mania to the living room by providing a platform that developers can use as a foundation for building new, must-have, functionality."
    Sony, which is making the smart TVs, has not revealed pricing or a specific release date, though the new TV sets are also expected in the fall.

Schmidt's update on Google TV comes about a week after Apple unveiled a new version of Apple TV with a significant price drop, from $229 for the original mode to $99. It's also one-fourth the size of the original TV decive. Apple TV, which will hit store shelves in a month but can be pre-ordered now, is designed to stream rented movies and TV programs to high-definition TVs.
    Olds said he's not sure how the competition between Google TV and Apple TV will pan out since Google's offering appears to be more expansive.
    "Apple is approaching the market in a typically Apple-like way. The device is proprietary and will rely on the huge content they've amassed through iTunes," he added. "I'm not sure if there will be as much independent apps development around Apple's device. It looks more like a conventional set-to box rather than a platform like Google TV."

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Google to launch TV service this autumn

google are trying to get into every form of media

Post Thanks
    Chats

Many modern tv's have an RJ45 socket on the back!
    I don't really know what mine is for because I never connect it, but I would be more impressed if a firmware update allowed my tv to go online, through the existing hardware?
    Rather than buying a new tv, which I doubt many people would do just for Google or anyone elses net app?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Many modern tv's have an RJ45 socket on the back!
    I don't really know what mine is for because I never connect it, but I would be more impressed if a firmware update allowed my tv to go online, through the existing hardware?
    Rather than buying a new tv, which I doubt many people would do just for Google or anyone elses net app?
    As far as i am awere google are also bringing out a set top box so there would be no need to buy a new tv
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

That sounds better, until you read;
    No price points were discussed either, but consumers were told that it will be compatible with existing Logitech Harmony remotes and it will ship with a few accessories, too. A compact keyboard, remote control and touch pad, to be specific. Logitech will also be responsible for a few more Google TV-related accessories, including an "an HDTV camera for video conferencing, and specialized apps that allow you to turn your smartphone into a Google TV controller." Expect the box to launch alongside the service this Fall.

We all know how expensive Logitech Harmony remotes are, so it could turn out to be a useful but expensive add on?
    Seeing as it will be tested "over the pond" first, at least we will have plenty of time to see if it works and what it will bring to us.