Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question Toughened (Safety glass) , buy where ?

I want to buy a sheet of Toughened (Safety glass) , not very big, maybe about 4 or 5ft by about 2ft, iam not sure of the thickness, but as it needs to take the weight of a 40kg plasma tv i guess it needs to be a bit thick, and it also needs to be finished round the edges just like you get with glass tabletops etc.

anyway, ive been trying to find places online to get an idea of what kind of a price that would set me back, but i cant find any sites that show prices, and i cant even think of where abouts i would go to buy such a thing in the city either ?

Hope some peeps can help me.

I'm in glasgow.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Toughened (Safety glass) , buy where ?

Did a quick google and came across these they are in glasgow
    Hidden Content
    they may be able to help
    Tbh i think the scottish members of this site will be able to help you better than i can

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

You should be able to buy what you want in a local glass merchants.

Going buy what you've stated I think you'll need 10mm thick glass. You need to ask for clear toughend polished all round and state what size radius's you require on the corners.

It you want say approx 1200mm x 600mm x 10mm thick, polished all round with say 5mm radiused corners you'ed prob expect to pay around ?35-?40. Now if you ask for really large rads on the corners you could get stung for CNC machine costs to cut the rads.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Sicilian Hidden Content
    You should be able to buy what you want in a local glass merchants.

Going buy what you've stated I think you'll need 10mm thick glass. You need to ask for clear toughend polished all round and state what size radius's you require on the corners.

It you want say approx 1200mm x 600mm x 10mm thick, polished all round with say 5mm radiused corners you'ed prob expect to pay around ?35-?40. Now if you ask for really large rads on the corners you could get stung for CNC machine costs to cut the rads.
    thanks man, it doesnt need to be anything fancy, its just for putting ontop of a chest of drawers in the bedroom so that i can sit a plasma telly on it, you see, if the plasma had a wee crappy standard stand i could sit the telly ontop of the chest of drawers no probs without a sheet of glass, but the stand is a big fancy thing, so its going to need a sheet of something to sit on as the stand is wider than the chest of drawers if you know what i mean.

I thought about a nice piece of some kind of sheet of solid wood, but again, i wouldnt even know which type of wood or nuffin ? and then i thought about "glass", i thought the glass would probably look better and would more than likley be as cheap as wood or even cheaper.

So the stand is 38inch wide (side to side), so i would need glass or wood 39inch wide or a little more, and i would need it about 2ft from front to back (depth i think you call that ?).

I should have explained all that before and it would give you all a better idea to think of what I'm better using, wood or glass, to me it doesnt need to look brilliant, just needs to look ok and be solid, price is a bit important as i dont want to be spending money on something like that just for the bedroom.

Post Thanks
    Chats

If the glass is full supported by the chest of drawers, you'ed proberbly get away with 6mm thick standard plate glass. Just dont have any glass over hanging the unit.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

so i would look up glass merchants in the yellow pages, yea ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by thomson Hidden Content
    so i would look up glass merchants in the yellow pages, yea ?
    that would be my first port of call or the Thompson local online.

Post Thanks
    Chats

If I were you thomson I would look in the local paper or ebay for a purpose built glass tv stand, used. Then all you would need to do would be to take the top off it and use that!
    Might work out cheaper as you can buy cheap tv stands if you look around, especially as many people buy a new tv and get the stand with it in an offer? That way you would know it was fit for purpose, might be smoked glass and you would get a better finish on the edges.
    Just a thought m8.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    If I were you thomson I would look in the local paper or ebay for a purpose built glass tv stand, used. Then all you would need to do would be to take the top off it and use that!
    Might work out cheaper as you can buy cheap tv stands if you look around, especially as many people buy a new tv and get the stand with it in an offer? That way you would know it was fit for purpose, might be smoked glass and you would get a better finish on the edges.
    Just a thought m8.
    good idea mate, i will look out for one, i have a week or so to try and figure out what i'm going to get anyway.

I have managed to find one glass merchant in glasgow near to where i live, Hidden Content , and even at that i dont know if its still there as i google earthed it and the building isnt even there now, hmmm, Hidden Content .

what about wood, is that an option or what ? i wouldnt even know what to look for as i never do much with wood etc, just trying to see if theres another option.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Wood is always an option, but not cheap for real wood and I would avoid chipboard if it's going to be load bearing! Depends what you can get it to look like as well?
    If most of it is on a bedside cabinet that would take the weight in the center anyway, which is where most of it is. The main reason for a bigger footstand built on the telly is to distribute the center weight over a larger area, especially on a glass table which most of them are on now. Stopping it falling over as well of course, but thats more to do with the front to back width of the plinth!
    So long as your not brushing past it a lot and your not standing it on a baby stool, you could probably manage without any further support.
    You will notice that most purpose built stands have the support on the corners of the glass platter. If you were hanging over your cabinet too much with a glass plate you would be missing that edge support as well?