Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

My quick review of the VU+ Duo receiver

Ok here's my review so far for the VU+ Duo.

I purchased mine from a UK supplier

When I first received it I was already impressed with the packaging, instructions, the feel of the remote and the quality feel of the receiver.

Next step I connected to TV to test with the original factory image. All was good so I proceeded to flash the receiver with the latest OpenPLi nightly beta builds.

Flashing the receiver with a usb stick is an absolute doddle! See guide here Hidden Content

On-reboot the initial setup screens are just like a Dreambox, set your tv output, in my case DVI, set-up tuner configs, parental control etc..Eventually you get to a blank bouquet.

Once setup I ftp'ed standard Enigma 2 settings to the receiver and reloaded channel lists.

Picture quality of both SD & HD definition is fantastic! SD channels display better than my Sky+ HD receiver Hidden Content

Next I powered off and installed a 500GB HDD and tested recording, all worked great. I've got two satellite dishes hooked up to it, one on a rotor and one fixed to Astra2. To test I actually managed to get this baby to record two HD channels and one SD channel whilst watching a fourth channel! Hidden Content

In the PLi download menu you'll plenty of the usual standard Engima 2 downloads. CCcam can be installed from there and there's also a handy XMLTV EPG plugin for 7 day EPG. CCcam 2.1.3 works perfect Hidden Content

Overall I'm really pleased with the VU+ Duo, although there's a few bugs, beings as its new hardware. The worst bug I've found so far is not being able to get MGcamd 1.31 to work, for reason the box freezes when it's enabled.

I've also attached some photos of the receiver.
    Last edited by Gazer; 02-05-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Wod's September quiz winner keverly19's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: My quick review of the VU+ Duo receiver

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Sicilian Hidden Content
    Ok here's my reveiw so far for the VU+ Duo.

I purchased mine from a UK supplier

When I first received it I was already impressed with the packaging, instructions, the feel of the remote and the quality feel of the receiver.

Next step I connected to TV to test with the original factory image. All was good so I proceeded to flash the receiver with the latest OpenPLi nightly beta builds.

Flashing the receiver with a usb stick is an absolute doddle! See guide here Hidden Content

On-reboot the initial setup screens are just like a Dreambox, set your tv output, in my case DVI, set-up tuner configs, parental control etc..Eventually you get to a blank bouquet.

Once setup I ftp'ed standard Enigma 2 settings to the receiver and reloaded channel lists.

Picture quality of both SD & HD definition is fantastic! SD channels display better than my Sky+ HD receiver Hidden Content

Next I powered off and installed a 500GB HDD and tested recording, all worked great. I've got two satellite dishes hooked up to it, one on a rotor and one fixed to Astra2. To test I actually managed to get this baby to record two HD channels and one SD channel whilst watching a fourth channel! Hidden Content

In the PLi download menu you'll plenty of the usual standard Engima 2 downloads. CCcam can be installed from there and there's also a handy XMLTV EPG plugin for 7 day EPG. CCcam 2.1.3 works perfect Hidden Content

Overall I'm really pleased with the VU+ Duo, although there's a few bugs, beings as its new hardware. The worst bug I've found so far is not being able to get MGcamd 1.31 to work, for reason the box freezes when it's enabled.

I've also attached some photos of the receiver.
    Great review Sic, sounds like you really got up close and personal with this box, hope u were wearing rubber gloves, hee hee
    Last edited by Gazer; 02-05-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

[QUOTE=Sicilian;181747]

i think there will be a sky hd box for sale soon:Hidden Content :
    Nice review sicHidden Content

Hidden Content
    wods trivia challenge - Daily Trivia Game

For all your fish keeping needs
    I am glad we could help you with your problem if you need anymore advice just ask,
    Also if you would like to help with the running costs of the site you can always donate here
    Thanks in advance its very much appreciated:)

Post Thanks
    Chats

Sounds like a very nice box Sic. Thanks for the pics and the good review.
    I like the idea of being able to record 3 channels while watching another one.
    Update by usb and nightly firmware updates also sounds good.

I do wonder what genius thought of making a white remote to go with a black box! Small point I know, but it does seem aesthetically daft?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Excellent review Sicilian !! it's sure got me tempted, the only thing is my s*y installation is communial ( 1 s*y dish feeding 6 flats ) and no other dish instalation is allowed, etc (motorised or even fixed dish if you know what i mean).
    Do you think it would still be worth the expence for me to go ahead ?
    P.S, only experience i have with satellite tv is watching my bank ballence deplette on a monthly basis.

Great Review tho.... thanks.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    Sounds like a very nice box Sic. Thanks for the pics and the good review.
    I like the idea of being able to record 3 channels while watching another one.
    I managed to record the third and view the fourth by tuning to channels on the transponders that where currently being recorded Hidden Content

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Diablo13 Hidden Content
    I do wonder what genius thought of making a white remote to go with a black box! Small point I know, but it does seem aesthetically daft?
    Got to agree on that point, I would preferred a black remote tbh.
    D I S C L A I M E R My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by john0745 Hidden Content
    Excellent review Sicilian !! it's sure got me tempted, the only thing is my s*y installation is communial ( 1 s*y dish feeding 6 flats ) and no other dish instalation is allowed, etc (motorised or even fixed dish if you know what i mean).
    Do you think it would still be worth the expence for me to go ahead ?
    P.S, only experience i have with satellite tv is watching my bank ballence deplette on a monthly basis.

Great Review tho.... thanks.
    Unless you got into cardsharing probably not tbh.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Last night rytec Hidden Content corrected a few bugs in their uk xml for uk epg. So now I'm getting a full UK EPG. This plugin can be installed from the PLi addons menu and will always have the latest files. It can be set to update you EPG on a daily basis.

Heres a screenshot from the web interface epg.

Post Thanks
    Chats

any screen shots of the gui etc bud?
    PS3= krazylegz120282

DM500-C,DM500-S90cm Technomate dish,0.2Titanium lnb,diseqc1.2 motor,12 month ART card 1-6
    Hidden Content
    IF YOU FIND A POST USEFUL USE THE THANKS BUTTON NOT A NEW POST JUST TO SAY ITHidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by krazylegz Hidden Content
    any screen shots of the gui etc bud?
    The GUI is more less like a Enigma 2 Dreambox.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Great review. Im thinking about getting one of these boxes myself Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by bjarkekr Hidden Content
    Great review. Im thinking about getting one of these boxes myself Hidden Content
    Go for it m8, you wont regret it. It's fast becoming the receiver to own Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

What channels do you receive on this system ?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by ScouseGit Hidden Content
    What channels do you receive on this system ?
    Whatever any other satellite receiver can receive. Premium channels depend on what valid subscription you have or if you cardshare with anyone. The later cannot be discussed here, sorry.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Sicilian

Whats your favourite image for this box at the moment & why??

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by catseye Hidden Content
    Sicilian
    Whats your favourite image for this box at the moment & why??
    Have a read here m8 Hidden Content

Forum Supporter
    Post Thanks
    Chats

ok bit the bullet and ordered one,next to get it up and running,be nice having another good box.cheers.

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cactikid Hidden Content
    ok bit the bullet and ordered one,next to get it up and running,be nice having another good box.cheers.

yea me too but not sure when ill get one am sure if we combine forces and with sics help well manage to get them goingHidden Content Hidden Content
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist