Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

Question New House Cant connect phone and tv, help.

I have a new house (brand new), comes with tv aerial & phone sockets pre installed up and downstairs etc.

However, i have noticed that the only tv aerial socket and phone sockets that actually work are the ones in the living room, they are the main ones obviously.

In the bedroom i unscrewed the front covers off both the tv aerial socket and the phone socket, i was surprised to see that they are actually connected up as if to work, hmmmm i thought.

I then went up the loft to see where the cables went (nearly killing myself in the process when falling out of loft, Hidden Content ), i traced the tv areial cable to the booster thats in the loft, so i guess thats where its meant to be and the booster must be working i think as the main downstair tv is working fine, and the phone cable, well i couldnt trace it very far as it went away across the loft under the insulation and stuff.

In the phone socket in the bedroom, i noted down the wire sequence when i opened it up, there is 6 little screw holes to put the wires, but only 3 wires appear to be poking out of the cable and they are connected like this >>

white with blue bands - screw 5
    blue - screw 2
    orange - screw 3

(there are other wires in the cable but they are cropped back and i cant see them).

Iam hoping someone can maybe give me an idea whats going on as neither the phone or the tv sockets work upstairs yet they appear to be connected, hmmm, strange.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: New House Cant connect phone and tv, help.

Have you spoke to the builders? or if its rented the agents first port of call i would say.
    PLEASE, support this charity Help for Heroes
    If this post has helped you please hit the thanks button below ty

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by DessertDog Hidden Content
    Have you spoke to the builders? or if its rented the agents first port of call i would say.
    already thought of that mate, the fekcs want me to pay a private company to come out and all that rubbish.

Post Thanks
    Chats

The wires clipped short so you cannot see them will be orange on white, green and green on white.

The only wires that need to be connected on a BT system are 2 and 5. The wire connected to 3 is the 'bell wire'. Having this connected can induce RF interference into the system as its pair is not connected (and there is no way of connecting it), but some telephones will not ring without it connected... If your ADSL speeds are a lot lower than you expect the first port of call would be to try it with the bell wire disconnected (checking that your phone rings when you do).

Anyway...

Go to the master socket (it's the one with the test point behind the fascia) and remove the faceplate. Check the wires connected at points 2 and 5 (some sockets only have 4 terminals, in which case they correspond to 2, 3, 4 and 5) correspond with further down the line. If not rearrange so that a pair of wires (e.g. blue on white and blue) are carrying a signal at which ever end needs sorting.

If that doesn't work you are looking at testing the line somehow as the wiring between the master box and the extension/slave socket could be damaged. Have a look towards the bottom of this site for an ingenious (and cheap) method: Hidden Content
    Last edited by little_pob; 13-08-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

thanks mate, i think i shall give it a go with disconnecting the number 3 wire first like you say and see how it goes, fingers crossed that gets the phone going, somehow i dont think it will as i dont even hear a crackle or nuffin on the phone, i even had a little piece of makeshift wire that i used to cross the wires in the socket to see if i could hear anything on the phone, but no, nuffin at all, just silent.

to be honest iam not that very concerned if the phone sockets upstairs dont work as i have wireless phones anyway, but would have been good to get the sockets working.

What about the tv side of things mate ?? any ideas there ? i suppose common sense would say theres either a faulty cable or faulty booster, hard to say though.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Forgot about the TV...

It could be that the splitter/booster is faulty.

However, you might want to check the ends of the cables have no shielding touching the core.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    Forgot about the TV...

It could be that the splitter/booster is faulty.

However, you might want to check the ends of the cables have no shielding touching the core.
    i did mate, i checked the shielding on both ends and it was fine.

as for the booster being faulty iam not too sure, this is a block of three houses and theres one sat dish and aerial that serves the three houses, the downstairs tv aerial signal is fine and so is the sat reception, so iam lost on this one, hmmm, i guess the booster could have a fault on output 2, hard to say, all i know is everyone in the whole street also have the exact same problems too, all the same/similar setups, thats what makes it even more strange.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Are you sure the booster/splitter in the loft is for the aerial and not the sat dish?

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    Are you sure the booster/splitter in the loft is for the aerial and not the sat dish?
    hmmm, never thought of that, Hidden Content , good shout mate.

its very hard to trace the cables as you can imagine all the insulation and stuff.

Post Thanks
    Chats

doesnt seem like a sat connection on the wall sockets in the rooms though, the sat connection in the living room screws onto the connection, but the bedroom sockets are just like your normal rf plug in type ones (if thats what ya call them).

Post Thanks
    Chats

It would be a fortunate accident for them to confuse the wires in the loft and again in the living room...

If you have a multimeter (and can locate it after the move) try this to test cable continuity: Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

look at the booster/splitter and get some details off of it.
    then look it up on the net or tell us the details
    i will guess it is a dual sat/tv xxx port distribution splitter.

typically the tv o/p will feed only one port out [that to your working tv?]
    by that downstairs feed you will have another tv socket, that will be the loopback up the dist box.
    this allows you to feed the rest of the house with a signal from the living room which contains the o/p from a vcr etc thus giving that also around the house.

just a guess

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    look at the booster/splitter and get some details off of it.
    then look it up on the net or tell us the details
    i will guess it is a dual sat/tv xxx port distribution splitter.

typically the tv o/p will feed only one port out [that to your working tv?]
    by that downstairs feed you will have another tv socket, that will be the loopback up the dist box.
    this allows you to feed the rest of the house with a signal from the living room which contains the o/p from a vcr etc thus giving that also around the house.

just a guess

dx
    ahh, good shout mate, actually i think there is another pluggy in thingy for an aerial behind the tv on the wall, cant tell just now as its late and dont want to start moving things out the way etc, but if there is, what should i do with it, iam unsure.

Post Thanks
    Chats

give it something to distribute!

from a dvd or vcr or sky box or why

the o/p that would nornally go from the back of XX to the tv so you could get a signal on the tv, stuff that up it.

now if you are really cleaver all you do is take that one out of the UHF in of the amp, and put the feed tothe aerial on UHF in, then all the tv's will work.

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

dx100-uk, yipeeeee, thank you so much my man, the loopback (return) thingy was the problem and now all my tv's are working in the house Hidden Content , excellentttttt Hidden Content , cheers.

only thing is now is that because i have took the rf out feed and plugged it into the loop socket, now it means i dont have normal analog stations on my main living room tv, but i do in the bedrooms though, its not a huge problem,she likes the simple analog channels for using teletext, i know that teletex works on the digital channels too, but try telling my wife how to, Hidden Content , so i would prefer to have that too if i can, any ideas ?
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 14-08-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

so where did you do the rf<>loopback link?
    on the amp
    or just linked the two sockets in the living room together with a lead?

i'd guess you did it in the living room.

you need to do this at the amp, but that will rquire moving where the leads go
    amps dont folllow std labelling

list me the names of the sockets on the amp please

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by dx100-uk Hidden Content
    so where did you do the rf<>loopback link?
    on the amp
    or just linked the two sockets in the living room together with a lead?

i'd guess you did it in the living room.

you need to do this at the amp, but that will rquire moving where the leads go
    amps dont folllow std labelling

list me the names of the sockets on the amp please

dx

i dont understand what you mean with "amp", do you mean the aerial booster ?? if so, no i didnt do it at the booster, i done it in the living room on the wall sockets.

there is two sockets on the wall, now since i learned from yourself, one is obviously a signal output and one is the loop (return) socket.

At first i simply had an rf lead connected from the wall output socket going into the input on my sky box, and then another rf lead going from the sky box rf output into the input aerial socket on my tv and therefore i was able to got normal analog terrestrial channels 1 to 5 on my tv, but now since you told me about the loopback socket, what i done was simply unplugged the rf cable from the output on the sky box and instead of it connecting to the telly like before, i plugged it into the loop socket and hey presto !! the sockets up the stairs worked Hidden Content .

But like i explained earlier, what that means is in my main tv in my living room i can view all channels on sky box via the scart lead obviously, and i can use the digital teletext that you get via the sky box too, so thats fair enough, iam happy with that, but the wife liked to just click onto the terrestrial analog channels 1 - 5 to use the teletext, i guess its just cause shes used to it and she finds it a bit hard finding her way round the digital teletext, Hidden Content , so for that reason and that reason only really thats the reason why it would be good to still be able to access the terrestrial channels in living room tv.

Apart from that, the tvs up the stair now work fine, crystal clear picture Hidden Content , iam gonna buy a cheapo freeview box for up there just to confuse her even more, Hidden Content .

p.s
    the booster had 1 input socket and two outputs on it that had cables connected (its in the loft)
    Last edited by BraveHeart; 15-08-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks
    Chats

urm. i was expecting a distribution amp with more points than that.

let me go into guess mode again.

aerial from roof feeds living room socket [rf out]
    2nd socket in living room [loopback] feeds aerial in on amp
    2 outputs from amp feed 2 bedrooms?

if you have more than two bedroom [or upper floor tv points]
    then you have another distribution box somewhere.

anyhow
    the simplest way to get your TV back for terrestrial teletext [which BTW is closing very soon!]
    is to split the feed into you loopback socket before it goes upstairs via a Y connector.
    you can get these in maplins or CPC .
    its dumb, [ie not powered]
    i wouldn't put another splitter amp there & then feed that to a splitter amp upstars.

should be around tonight.

sorry disappeared
    sadly we have a very serious incident on shift last night and i had to concerntrate on radio control not the pc!

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

yes the setup is exactly what you described, and it is 2 bedrooms.

i did think of using a Y connector like you said to, but also like you said i would then need to more than likley fit another booster as for each splitter it degrades the signal slightly, so now i know what to do i will keep ya posted if and when i get round to it.

Post Thanks
    Chats

diasy chaining any amp[s], unless they are of broadcast quality build, will most prob cause oscillations and noise. and typically the loss of one of morer channels due to imaging effects.

as you guessed find a y splittter,

dx
    its nice here....