Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Htpc build

Post Thanks
    Chats

Htpc build

Looking for some advice please
    i want to build a pc to go with my hd telly it does not have to be one of those fancy little case ones as i have a spare mini tower that will look good enoughHidden Content

what dvb-c and dvb-s cards that you can manipulateHidden Content support HDtv and what spec motherboard,cpu,ram,psu,etc will i need and how much would it cost
    it wont be used for gaming it will only be used for watching tv and surfing the net
    Thanks for looking
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.
    I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: Htpc build

For DVB-C you'll need a 3rd party app like MediaPortal or SageTV for windows. For Linux look at MythTV. No idea what you'd need to get the HD channels in terms of cams etc.

DVB-S2 will get you the HD channels on Freesat at the very least.

For freeview HD (when it launches) you'll need a DVB-T2 tuner, but these are not yet available (and look like they won't hit the stores until well after the 2nd of December)

For the rest of it have a look at this setup: Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for the info m8 that looks cheap enough, i take it i need all that for it to work the hd dvb cards even though it says its for gaming,i wont be using it to play games.
    Last edited by fergalsworld; 11-08-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    D I S C LA I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader.

Post Thanks
    Chats

The Nvidia 250GT will give you 1080p, HDCP and sound over the DVI-to-HDMI converter block that should come included. But so will the slightly cheaper Hidden Content , having got one on Friday last I know that comes with the converter DVI to HDMI connector and internal SPDIF lead.

Regardless of whether you go for the 250GT or 9600GT card, you'll loose a PCI slot due to the 'dual slot' cooler, this leaves 3 PCI slots (for 3 tuners?). The fireware also allows the use of one of the FloppyDTC tuners too: Hidden Content

The E5200 is more than enough to provide Blu-Ray, HDDVD and 1080p .mkv playback. If you are not overclocking the stock cooler should be good enough in a well ventilated case.

The hard disk is big enough to get you started with PVR. Although you might want to look into a couple of 1TB drives at a later date if you find yourself archiving.

If you want an add in sound card to use with an amp take advantage of the other PCI-e slot and throw in an ASUS Xonar DX or DX2: Hidden Content
    Last edited by little_pob; 11-08-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: underlined links

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks m8 your a star i will have a look at all the linksHidden Content
    one other thing with there being a fan on the psu,cpu,graphics card and mb will there be a noise issue or will it be minimal
    i have seen graphics cards and cpu's with big heatsinks on them instead of fans do they only use these on lower spec graphic cards and cpus that dont need to be cooled as much?
    thanks againHidden Content
    D I S C LA I M E R

Post Thanks
    Chats

The Intel stock coolers are fairly quiet anyway, but you could always add an aftermarket cooler. You do need to be careful in terms of height though some of the heatsinks are huge (e.g. ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme). Personnaly I'd recommend a ThermalRight Ultima-90 with a 90mm Noctua fan blowing air across the CPU in a front to back direction (or bottom to top depending how you fit the heatsink). I've read people have had success with running the E5200 passively on Xigmatek S1283.

The 9600GT and GT250 share the same cooler because they have the same G92b GPU under the hood. I wouldn't like to say it was whisper quiet, but you probably shouldn't hear it once you put some sound through your speakers. If you do find it too noisy you can get aftermarket coolers for graphics cards too, the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 being a very popular (and very tall!) choice.

Post Thanks
    Chats

Hidden Content Originally Posted by little_pob Hidden Content
    The Intel stock coolers are fairly quiet anyway, but you could always add an aftermarket cooler. You do need to be careful in terms of height though some of the heatsinks are huge (e.g. ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme). Personnaly I'd recommend a ThermalRight Ultima-90 with a 90mm Noctua fan blowing air across the CPU in a front to back direction (or bottom to top depending how you fit the heatsink). I've read people have had success with running the E5200 passively on Xigmatek S1283.
    The 9600GT and GT250 share the same cooler because they have the same G92b GPU under the hood. I wouldn't like to say it was whisper quiet, but you probably shouldn't hear it once you put some sound through your speakers. If you do find it too noisy you can get aftermarket coolers for graphics cards too, the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 being a very popular (and very tall!) choice.
    Just read a review on the ultima here
    h**p://Hidden Content What do you think about them recommending the Panaflo 92mm fan over the noctua for quietness and do you think the noctua or panaflo with the ultima would be quieter than the intel stock cooler otherwise its defeating the object.
    Ps i do like the look of the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 im getting one of them babysHidden Content
    Thanks.
    Last edited by fergalsworld; 12-08-2009 at 04:38 PM.
    D I S C LA I M E R

Post Thanks
    Chats

92mm Panaflo = 30dB
    92mm Noctua = 17dB

92mm Panaflo = 48CFM
    92mm Noctua = 35CFM

So the Panaflo pushes 13 cubic foot/minute of air more than Noctua, but is approx 39 times louder*.

I actually bought a 120mm Panaflo in the past and was disappointed by how loud I^ perceived them to be.

Notes:
    *dB is a logarithmic scale, were a doubling of sound intensity occurs over approx a 3dB range.

^Unfortunately, although dB ratings help, sound is largely subjective.
    Last edited by little_pob; 13-08-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: my maths stinks!

Post Thanks
    Chats

There are many options m8 its down to preference, if your producing tv from the interent onto a tv screen then your deciding factor will alwatys be the quality coming into the pc.

i use a system under my tv for movies etc i have the nzb setup etc on there for quick download and then just play the file useing a good media player [not windows ones anyway Hidden Content ] make sure the system has the required codecs so all files will work and dont forget the audio codecs you may need them.

dont skimp and accept less when you may end up changing it later cos it dont quite do what you want.

do your research first then buy after