Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

High Resistance to earth!!!!

Hi peeps i got my house surveyed by warmfront and they picked up on the house electrics having high resistance to earth, Can i sort this my self or do i need an expert,
    after the survey I changed my lead mains water pipe to the plastic one and can now and again feel an electrical impulse on the radiator(not alway though)

Thanks
    Dil

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: High Resistance to earth!!!!

the two will be linked.

it depends upon when the house was last rewired to some degree also.

and ofcourse HOW you derive earth at your property.

typically this should be via the outer armour of the mains incomer or an external earthing spike

have a read thru this site, it pretty much covers all that you need to know.

Hidden Content

dx
    its nice here....

Post Thanks
    Chats

Smile Re: High Resistance to earth!!!!

Check the Main earth cable going in to your DB, It should be a 16mm and it should as dx100 says be either tightly clamped on to the outer core of the main incomer or indeed be attached to an external earth spike buried outside.
    For the radiator problem... you must check you have a 10mm earth cable coming from your DB and going to your main water pipe at your boiler then all the pipes are cross bonded with 6mm earth cable, this should deal with any problem you have with the rad's, however for extra protection there are bonding clamps available that attach directly to radiators, normally on the bottom edge.Hidden Content

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: High Resistance to earth!!!!

High ELI readings are a Dangerous situation, You and your family are at direct risk of electrocution in the event of a fault in the electrical system or a faulty electrical appliance.
    Call in an electrician ASAP to identify your earthing type and find the fault. If you have overhead line incoming power then you probably have an earth stake in the ground which is yours, otherwise the earth will be provided by your energy supplier as an earth cable sleeve or a PME connection. These situations would be dealt with in different ways but you need an electrician to take readings and identify the problem. If you have an RCD protected consumer unit (unit has 30ma marked on it & a test button) you still have minimal protection from shock but still should be checked. If you have an old fusebox with just "wired" fuses you have a highly dangerous problem. Dont mess about, call an electrician.
    “When you help someone up the hill, you are closer to the top yourself.”Hidden Content