Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks
    Chats

An email I received from Joanna Lumly about the gurkha petition.

Here is the email I received from Joanna Lumly because I signed the Gurkha's right to stay in Britain campaign. I know a lot of people on here also signed the petition so I thought I would post this update.
    We won and common sense and decency prevailed at last. It took some time but it goes to show that sometimes the powers that be have to listen, if we all shout loud enough.

At midday today, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the announcement to the House of Commons that the Gurkha Justice Campaign have been fighting for for years. All ex-Gurkhas who have served more than 4 years in the British Army will have the right to settle in the UK if they wish.

After such a long fight, with huge ups and downs, this is a superb announcement.

We simply would not have won this fight without the massive, overwhelming support of all those who have supported our campaign. To the hundreds of thousands of people who have signed Gurkha Justice petitions, lobbied their MP, campaigned, attended rallies and marches - thank you so much to you all. This is your victory. It would not have happened without you.

The Government has now responded to that campaign after court cases, votes in Parliament, a huge media campaign and, most importantly, massive public support. I am delighted, and humbled, at what has been achieved by our remarkable team.

The whole campaign has been based on the belief that those who have fought and been prepared to die for our country should have the the right to live in our country. We owe them a debt of honour - a debt that will now be paid.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
    Hidden Content

I think this is a great victory and we should all be proud of ourselves for supporting it. Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Last edited by Diablo13; 22-05-2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Bad Sentence construction

Post Thanks
    Chats

Re: An email I received from Joanna Lumly about the gurkha petition.

I was so pleased that it all came good at the end. Just a shame that we had to fight for the right for people that have helped us in many ways when they should have been given automatic right to live here after they have helped to protect our Queen and Country.

Thanks goes out to all those involved and a big thank you to Joanna Lumley great work. And the biggest thanks of all goes to the Gurkhas for helping protect us we owe you so much.
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!

Be the change you want to see in the world

Post Thanks
    Chats

yea, got one as well, good on her, isn`t it a shame when you consider what WE do let into this country,those who dont put there live`s on the line down for this country, and they just walk in willy nilly, What a laughing stock this country has become,
    .................................................. .................................................. .
    LIFE`S A BITCH .......... THEN YOU DIE !!

NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY.... NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Retired Grumpy Grandad notanotherone's Avatar
    Post Thanks
    Chats

yea i got one as well
    wii #5344 2071 8397 4304
    Hidden Content
    Trust me the devil allways wins ,no matter how hard we resist

Post Thanks
    Chats

Thanks for posting this Diablo, I was away on holiday when you posted it and I've only just seen it now as I've been looking through older posts trying to find something.

I also signed the Gurkha's right to stay in Britain campaign, I probably did get an email but there was so much junk in my inbox when I came back that I must have missed it.

What a nice email and its still heartwarming to read even although its a few months old now.

I remember when the announcement was made, for some reason I was in my hotel room at the time with the television on, I must admit it brought tears to my eyes, Its just a pity it took so long for it to happen, but the main thing is the end result Hidden Content

Well done to Joanna Lumley and everyone else involved, its so nice when celebs use their fame and put their name behind a campaign.

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    gяσωιηg σℓ∂ ιѕ мαη∂αтσяу; gяσωιηg υρ ιѕ σρтισηαℓ.
    If you would like to help with the running costs of the site click below

Hidden Content
    Honesty is better than sugar coated bullsh!t